San Diego's Pearl Harbor survivors close chapter

Bob Hudson

Such a loss, the greatest generation have left the building! I can see it everywhere in this country, the values and duty to this nation are lost..Sry just sucks to know we will not have these veterans to learn from around any longer :blush:

Part of the service was reading the names of those who died in the previous year: it was a long list for the 2011 70th Anniversary service

A sad indicator about how the living memory and experience from those times is fading. We need to treasure every one of those folks.

On the flip side I saw an article where one of the British paratroopers who jumped at Arnham did a tandem parachute jump at the recent commemoration of Market Garden this year. Some of these WWII vets still have a lot in them!

RememberThe5thESB

I got to partake in a WW2 reenactment right before summer ended and had the chance to meet about 3 veterans. Not only were they all walking (some with assistance mind you)But one DROVE himself there! They sure do have a lot left in them!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

This information comes from a July 2019 newsletter published by the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors.

PHS Archivist Report: Gordon Sparks, our Archivist, stated that the current roster of total PHSA Members Living & Deceased is 22,209. Currently it is showing 2,102 as still living. This is a work in progress and is being updated as he, Carolyn Sparks and Margie Heston locate additional information. The remains which have been identified through DNA from the USS Oklahoma is 191, and 1 from the West Virginia are also logged.

Also, the stated purpose of this organization is:

SDPHS is an organization dedicated to the preservation of the history of the attack on Pearl Harbor, Island of Oahu, territory of Hawaii on December 7, 1941 by keeping alive the memory of our survivor parents who perished or survived the attack.

This purpose is accomplished through the following objectives:

• Keep alive the memory of our survivor parents who perished or persevered during the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.
  • Share the historical and educational data left to us by the Pearl Harbor survivors.
  • Preserve and strengthen comradeship among members.
  • Maintain allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America.
  • Foster true patriotism.
  • Maintain and extend the institution of American freedom.

Yes, it is sad when these chapters close down. My Father-in-Law was a Pearl Harbor survivor being on the Heavy Cruiser New Orleans during the attack. He died a few years ago in Oklahoma City but he did look forward to attending meetings in Hawaii. The Sons & Daughters will be able to carry on for some period of time just like the Sons of Civil War Veterans have done after they were gone.

Time marches on.

Pearl Harbor cap.JPG