M1911A1 training aid?

PaulS

That or a Holywood prop.. When I was in the Corps we had camposite M16 rifles for training in some instances. Any chance you are looking to part with it?

These were sold as toys or replicas. I remember seeing them in comic books and men’s magazines. Over the years I’ve had a couple of M1911s and a Luger. There were others, but I don’t recall which pistols.

That or a Holywood prop.. When I was in the Corps we had camposite M16 rifles for training in some instances. Any chance you are looking to part with it?

I am not looking to get rid of it at the moment. I found a M16A2 training aid when I was in the Army. It was all composite with a real demilled "A1" front sight and barrel section with flash hider for bayonet training.

These were sold as toys or replicas. I remember seeing them in comic books and men’s magazines. Over the years I’ve had a couple of M1911s and a Luger. There were others, but I don’t recall which pistols.

Thank you for your help.

Wow! its been a long time, but I remember in back of the magazines like SOF seeing the ads. I wouldn't mind picking up the 1911A1 for doing Military collectors shows. I go as USMC impression but leave my holster empty as to not have the sponsors have a heart attack thinking I am packing..HA HA

Some of these are holster forms. Training aids are generally made out of a composite resin material, not all metal. Also as pointed out they could be toys, although the ones I've seen tend to be slightly smaller than the real thing.

looks like a movie "prop gun" I notice while watching old B&W WW2 movies sometimes you can spot they are carrying some type of prop gun like this

when they toss a gun on the ground they probably use these instead of the real ones, or if they go in the water crossing a stream they use these instead of real guns

Many years ago (about 1982) I had a table at a gun show. A fellow showed me a dummy .45 similar to what is shown above, except, it had some type of plastic covering an inner metal solid frame. The plastic gave the pistol the details. It was cracked, so I could see the metal under the 1/8 inch thick plastic. He wanted to sell it, and said his Uncle carried it in President Roosevelt's funeral procession. The cracks were a turn-off to me at the time, and I declined to make an offer. Likely I could have had it for $20, I still regret not trying to pick that one up. I have a few of the illustrated replica guns. A neat side bar collection.

BKW

• 3 weeks later...

They are great for keeping in USGI holsters to help them retain their shape.

Thanks, that was one of the ways I thought I could use it even if it turned out not to be a real training aid.

I picked up a 1911 but the hammer was broken. It now sits in my WWI M1916 holster. I also had one that was a Japanese Nambu that I sold.