cagedfalcon

Picked this grouping a few days ago.

Eugene A Karnes

1/14/1918

West Fork, AR

346 87 58

Stationed at Pearl

Trained as a pharmacist & xray tech.

Was there during attack on Pearl. Daughter kept framed photo of Eugene & friends, CO2 insignia & note telling parent he was ok after the attack.

What I do have is 4 uniform jackets, letters sent to parents throughout the war. Photos of him at the laundry, another copy of three friends, class photo & his wedding reception.

Both dress jackets have bullion crows which must have cost a pretty penny.

Both are very stiff & photograph like the have a light mildew. Moth damage on insignias. Buttons on one were all upside down & sewn that way on one side, I checked. Appears to be able to button left over right or right over left. Are these thing typical?

Jumper has his name embroidered inside on back. Bad moth damage to set. Once again insignia has been more then nipped.

Now a jacket I've never seen before. Tan, large pockets. Heavily stained & brittle. Worst insignia of group.

First note on back of envelope summering the note in frame saying he is ok after attack.

Next letter talks about Christmas gifts, no dull moments, seeing Senator Knox, trying to send back a piece of Japanese plane but "enclosure removed" by censor. He also wanted to start a scalp collection.

As you can see his writing is very tough to read.

Another letter he talks about shipboard & stopping at Tarawa & seeing nothing but stumps where we had clear cut the jungle to prevent cover for the enemy.

Lots more to read.

Enjoy

Just can't seem to figure out the sideways pic thing.

7add12dd7206bd533d121f6e4d4452da.jpg9a5c64409283cd2042456ec578fa0074.jpgd7adff8c8d158d42a39d087bf4df1a36.jpg9b32af8526b4604e57eb8fbd659df68d.jpg28ba4f550991b188d657704867d0a054.jpg273079067fc41febf565377a041ddbbd.jpgcbabcf4e367c258486067b4ed8fee1f4.jpg2ce7d8547a6e54586c124a681d021067.jpgae39e88fb686aff9f16eeb18d7868fec.jpg1bc208ea3222faddc2d4629ba8df4b9f.jpg

Can anything be done about the dress jackets that are stiff ? Dry cleaning? What ribbons is he allowed to wear seen in wedding photo?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I;m afraid that I don't see the wedding photo. I would ASSUME that he was entitled to at least the USN Good COnduct, American Defense with campaign star (for either the "FLEET" or the "BASE" bar on the medal), American Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, nd the World War II Victory ribbons.

For the mildew, you can wipe the uniform down with a sponge with rubbing alcohol on it. It will kill the mildew and won't hurt the clothing. For discoloration because of mildew, you can try white vinegar.

Good luck!

Allan

I;m afraid that I don't see the wedding photo. I would ASSUME that he was entitled to at least the USN Good COnduct, American Defense with campaign star (for either the "FLEET" or the "BASE" bar on the medal), American Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, nd the World War II Victory ribbons.

For the mildew, you can wipe the uniform down with a sponge with rubbing alcohol on it. It will kill the mildew and won't hurt the clothing. For discoloration because of mildew, you can try white vinegar.

Good luck!

Allan

Here is the missing photo.

Thank you for the mildew remedy. What about the stiffness, are they to far gone to save or just save the rank for a shadow box?

ThanksPosted Image

Just a bit puzzled as to the difference between the PhM1c jumper, that has two hashmarks and the CPhM blouse with the single hashmark.

Most up to date?

What do hash marks represent, years?

. The are 4 years each. The jumper, shows 8 years service, while the CPO uniform only shows 4. You are promoted FROM Petty Officer First Class (Jumper), to Chief Petty Officer (coat). The hash marks should be the other way around

...e3ac34c79ff28f275ae941af690094dd.jpg927e3c5367639237c12bc2b1eb4a8c17.jpgb87a7fa87f1f238dcd285952c36aa517.jpged6e6a8790a22795b36234f3b31082db.jpg4b6a1963a1c3a7ba018a26ba27048049.jpg758377d3eacbc1a99f9862f637372c07.jpg

. The gray rating badge, is for a short lived uniform, same style as the khaki uniform, that was actually intended to replace the khaki. Which sounds like the other uniform you have. Pretty much daily wear for Chiefs and Officers.

Ok, I see now. Straight from Karnes daughter. I've seen stranger thing on the forums.

Can the coat be dry cleaned?

Picked this grouping a few days ago.Eugene A Karnes1/14/1918West Fork, AR346 87 58Stationed at PearlTrained as a pharmacist & xray tech.Was there during attack on Pearl. Daughter kept framed photo of Eugene & friends, CO2 insignia & note telling parent he was ok after the attack. What I do have is 4 uniform jackets, letters sent to parents throughout the war. Photos of him at the laundry, another copy of three friends, class photo & his wedding reception.Both dress jackets have bullion crows which must have cost a pretty penny. Both are very stiff & photograph like the have a light mildew. Moth damage on insignias. Buttons on one were all upside down & sewn that way on one side, I checked. Appears to be able to button left over right or right over left. Are these thing typical? Jumper has his name embroidered inside on back. Bad moth damage to set. Once again insignia has been more then nipped. Now a jacket I've never seen before. Tan, large pockets. Heavily stained & brittle. Worst insignia of group.First note on back of envelope summering the note in frame saying he is ok after attack.Next letter talks about Christmas gifts, no dull moments, seeing Senator Knox, trying to send back a piece of Japanese plane but "enclosure removed" by censor. He also wanted to start a scalp collection. As you can see his writing is very tough to read.Another letter he talks about shipboard & stopping at Tarawa & seeing nothing but stumps where we had clear cut the jungle to prevent cover for the enemy. Lots more to read.EnjoyJust can't seem to figure out the sideways pic thing.7add12dd7206bd533d121f6e4d4452da.jpg9a5c64409283cd2042456ec578fa0074.jpgd7adff8c8d158d42a39d087bf4df1a36.jpg9b32af8526b4604e57eb8fbd659df68d.jpg28ba4f550991b188d657704867d0a054.jpg273079067fc41febf565377a041ddbbd.jpgcbabcf4e367c258486067b4ed8fee1f4.jpg2ce7d8547a6e54586c124a681d021067.jpgae39e88fb686aff9f16eeb18d7868fec.jpg1bc208ea3222faddc2d4629ba8df4b9f.jpg

. It is also interesting that, the small rating badge in the frame is displayed with the back showing. By the way, that is a Recruit Petty Officer rating badge, worn in the right sleeve, bu recruits in boot camp, and students at Navy schools, who are assigned to positions of authority within their Recruit Company/School Class. This is an RPO1 badge, so he was most likely a Platoon Leeder. In Pharmacysts Mate school.

. The are 4 years each. The jumper, shows 8 years service, while the CPO uniform only shows 4. You are promoted FROM Petty Officer First Class (Jumper), to Chief Petty Officer (coat). The hash marks should be the other way around

I will try reading more late war letters & see if he got busted down. Possible?

I cannot find the reference again, but basically it noted Temporary and Acting advancements to Petty Officer & Chief Petty Ofiicer during the WW2 timeframe. In a nutshell he could have been a Temp or Acting appointment to CPO and the end of the war brought the reduction in rate back to their permanent grade. I believe it was in one of the 1944 or 1945 editions of the USN magazine "ALL HANDS"..

The CPO with over 4 years would fit that timeline and somewhere between late 1945 and 1948 reverted back to PhM 1c..

I cannot find the reference again, but basically it noted Temporary and Acting advancements to Petty Officer & Chief Petty Ofiicer during the WW2 timeframe. In a nutshell he could have been a Temp or Acting appointment to CPO and the end of the war brought the reduction in rate back to their permanent grade.  I believe it was in one of the 1944 or 1945 editions of the USN magazine "ALL HANDS"..

The CPO with over 4 years would fit that timeline and somewhere between late 1945 and 1948 reverted back to  PhM 1c..

I will read his letters to see if anything pops up.

Good info, thanks

To answer your questions about uniform care, yes, you can have the uniforms dry cleaned. Ask the person taking the uniforms to "hand tumble" the uniforms and to stitch muslin over the bullion rates. A smaller operation will most likely do this.

As for the ribbons on the uniform at the wedding, the sailor is wearing the American Defense with star and the Asiatic Pacific with one campaign star. The lasst ribbon could be the Navy Good Conduct medal, or it could be the Philippine Liberation ribbon. I would hazard a guess that it is a GC. The order of precedence for the GC ribbon changed in WWII.

Allan

To answer your questions about uniform care, yes, you can have the uniforms dry cleaned. Ask the person taking the uniforms to "hand tumble" the uniforms and to stitch muslin over the bullion rates. A smaller operation will most likely do this.

As for the ribbons on the uniform at the wedding, the sailor is wearing the American Defense with star and the Asiatic Pacific with one campaign star. The lasst ribbon could be the Navy Good Conduct medal, or it could be the Philippine Liberation ribbon. I would hazard a guess that it is a GC. The order of precedence for the GC ribbon changed in WWII.

Allan

Wasn't specific but Eugene wrote that they recieved a citation. I will read letters again.

Sin the jumper & khaki are so moth eaten, would it be acceptable to remove ratings & embroidered name?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sin the jumper & khaki are so moth eaten, would it be acceptable to remove ratings & embroidered name?

Its not that bad. Best to leave it alone.