WW2 Flak glass's/goggles

P-59A

"Kinda' unrelated, but just for the record, the A-9 oxygen mask never had "a strap that went up between the eyes and secured to the Jolliet strap". Its successor, the A-10 Standard, was the one with the central strap that connected to the "Juliet". It was disliked as uncomfortable and was subsequently removed when the improved A-10 Revised and A-10 Converted came into production."   My bad on the numbers. They don't stick in my head and I brain fart on them all the time.

usaaf-a-10-oxygen-mask-early-pattern_16632_main_size2.jpg

12 minutes ago, P-59A said:

Has anyone got information on these? 

P1100386.jpg

These were anti-fog goggles. Not really practical as an aviation goggles since they were incompatible with an oxygen mask, but used in limited numbers on surface ships. I believe Dustin has a photo of a Navy telephone talker wearing a pair? Brief Naval Aviation News article about them below:

1005698684_NoseGoggle.bmp

Thank's!I have been ripping through the net looking for an electric shield that went over the Polaroid goggles and plugged into the F-3. I saw it years ago. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

10 minutes ago, P-59A said:

Thank's! I have been ripping through the net looking for an electric shield that went over the Polaroid goggles and plugged into the F-3. I saw it years ago. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sure. It's the electrically heated lens for the B-8 goggle. The other item you asked about is an electric heater for the A-14 oxygen mask. Both items plugged into an outlet on the chest of the F-2, or F-3 suits.

1.jpg

electr10.jpg

d1_1.jpg

Charlie Flick

You guys are killing me.  I just ran across this thread.  The "flak goggles" and the Variable Density goggles with the flip up feature are items I have on my USAAF headgear display assembled 25+ years ago.  This discussion is going to force me to make some changes which means that I am going to have to blow the dust off of some of this stuff and get it "right".  Ugh......

flight helmets 002.jpg

Yeah I picked up a cherry pair of those VD with flip up red lenses.

After posting them here and finding out what was said, I took them off my flight helmet and put it in my footlocker of miscellaneous gear.

I'm just glad I got them cheap. But on the bight side(No Pun Intended)  when we had that solar eclipse a little while back, I was able to use them and see it!!!!

You have a Very Nice display Charlie!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

• 2 years later...

I'm very bummed out after re-reading this thread regarding the flak goggles but I WILL NOT take my display apart DANG IT and you can't make me!  I just can't and won't believe there are absolutely no photos of them in use whatsoever but but there may be another shred of evidence to be found that will cause Mr. Flick and all of yous to proudly re-display them (lol).   According to the Godfather of flight gear, Mick Prodger, in my favorite book of all time, Vintage Flying Helmets, he states the Anti-Flak goggles "were never issued as a standard issue of flying equipment, however examples have been found in original paper wrappings marked with AAF nomenclature which were probably procured for evaluation and may have been tested operationally on a limited basis." Now I don't believe he would state this without some shred of evidence, who knows, but possibly one of the donators to the book may have this evidence (maybe I'll try to contact him through his business, Elm Grove Publishing). There must be a design blueprint or contract info from the Ordnance Dept. since they clearly made a run of them (there is obviously quite a few floating around in our collector world). My guess is it didn't take long at all for the trials to return the verdict of thumbs down from the flight crews (as well as the armor crews).    Also to note from this thread is the Yellow Star Anti- Flak helmet at least has a detailed manufacture tag clearly showing the contract number along with the info of 'Project H-28-CL' and Property, U.S. Army Air Forces clearly stated. Mick's details noted of that helmet says   -- "experimental derivative of the M-4 series of anti-flak helmets ordered in limited numbers by the Army Air Force in 1944 for testing and evaluation... The war ended before trials were completed, and project H-28-CL was cancelled".  We all need to hunt for this evidence so we can avoid altering our displays! LETS GOooo!!

P1050924.JPG

P1050925.JPG

Flak Helmet 01.JPG

I do not want to worry you but I guess 99% of people who contributed in this thread read a Mick book and I one know Mick personally. 

Take care,

Jerry