2 COBRA patches, good or bad?

Proud Kraut

Unfortunately I lost my file with the notes about a couple of patches I still have in my collection. Any information is appreciated, thanks in advance!

C1.jpg

Cobra AH1 pocket patches, hard to tell if G model or S model. S models appeared in the mid 70's when all the G models were modified with square canopies, HSS and TOW launchers. There are a few detailed posts somewhere in this forum.

The one on the left is an original Cobra qualification patch given out when a pilot finished the course. They were widespread and often worn, sometimes personalized, during the Vietnam war. They continued to be used after the war but changed a bit when the AH-1S was fielded. The one on the right is, in my opinion, an aftermarket produced copy. It may have been used by anyone for any purpose.

IH

Here are some of the in-country versions made in Vietnam for units. Cobra NETT and the transition school at Vung Tau also awarded them.

post-2582-0-87838600-1569114341_thumb.jpg

post-2582-0-80322500-1569114360_thumb.jpg

The first one you have is US made. The 2nd as mentioned is recent. I dont believe Korean made variant but a copy.

post-2582-0-29171400-1569114512_thumb.jpg

Cobra NETT New Equipment Training Team

post-2582-0-27715300-1569114575.jpg

This is the standard issue version. And the harder to find subdued. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought gunners were also awarded the Cobra qualification patch.

post-2582-0-57599700-1569114653.jpg

post-2582-0-88570800-1569114689_thumb.jpg

I don't know about the gunner getting the patch either, at least from the school. They must have received some flight training so that if the was pilot unable to fly an aircraft for any number of reasons the front seater could get it down. Don't know if that partial training was considered qualification. Any goes with having local sources to exploit.

IH

Cobras had and have two fully qualified pilots as crew. No "Gunner" as you state. Front seat normally weapons system ( Rockets , flex gun etc) . He is a fully qualified pilot and went to the same same training as the back seater who is normally the Aircraft Commander. Front seat can and did fly the helicopter and did so quiet a bit. My AH-1G time is pretty limited ( 1.3 hrs from Bell Factory Test Flight new helicopter). That was in 1967 and did a autorotation from front seat with some coaching from the IP! LOL! ). I was a IP at Wolters at the time.

A lot of folks , even me, don't think too much about actual qualifications. I was never a Cobra person, I was a huey dude. Interesting to know that front seater was a fully qualified pilot. Learn something every day.

IH

Thanks flyingtiger.

That's what I recalled but questioned myself. You're right Front Seater is a more accurate term that was used.

Not mine anymore, cleared my collection(s) multiple times now but this was a left over in a shop at Fort Bragg, NC I moved on. Cobra Qualification unissued plaque. There was also a sticker with this patch design.

And a Nomex top showing the typical wear of the qual patch. Same-Same for the flight jacket.

post-2582-0-26159900-1569251474_thumb.jpg

post-2582-0-37917700-1569251950_thumb.jpg

Flight Jacket. This one sold on Ebay. Research revealed the owner was KIA during the Easter Offensive if once again memory serves.

Anyway these AH-1G Cobra qualification patches used to be plentiful. They appear sporadically now and again, the subdued version of the qualifcation patch is the harder one to find.

post-2582-0-51990800-1569252338.jpg

The one on the right looks German made to me. I can't vouch for its authenticity as I don't collect them, but it bears a lot or resemblance to German made USAF patches I have. Since there were Cobra units in Germany, maybe that's how this one came to be.

The one on the right looks German made to me. I can't vouch for its authenticity as I don't collect them, but it bears a lot or resemblance to German made USAF patches I have. Since there were Cobra units in Germany, maybe that's how this one came to be.

Thank you Randy!