Armored Division Patches

LIFER

Checking on all of them, and wondering just how many are still active and those that are not. Knowing the main ones of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and going up to the 22nd. (as in the patch book), then continuing with the 27th, 30th, 40th, and then 48th to 50th, I have found others going as high as the 500's. (509th?).

Are there any ones that are higher, and are there any that did not exist, as 41-47? Also, are the early ones that had the letters as numbers (okay, the roman numerals) worth more?

The three-numbered patches are typically independent tank battalions. Many of those are post-war "made for collectors & veterans" pieces or fakes.

The Texas Army National Guard used to have the 49th, but I think they are gone, too. Some of the high numbers may have been National Guard units post-war, but I'm not sure which ones.

Stanton's WWII Order of Battle shows 1st through 16th, and 20th as seeing combat in WWII, although the 20th only arrived in the ETO in February 1945. I do not know if the 17th, 18th and 19th were never activated, or perhaps were still in training in the U.S.

I hope this helps.

The numbers you listed were divisions, most converted or deactivated, the other numbers were battalions. It was common at one time for the organic armored Bn in an infantry Div to wear the triangle with their number on it above the pocket of their uniform, also applies to higher commands. This was a locally authorized thing and not all units did it and not at all times. As far as I know it is no longer done. So it is less a question of is a unit active as it is do they wear the patch. You can find out if a division is active by just googling it, I would say that all divisions and many smaller units have either a website or facebook page run by the unit itself or a veterans origination.

LIFER, check out this MEGA Topic of 16 Pages on the various Armored/Armor Triangles worn from WWII up the 70s-90s

One example from the topic, a Tank Crewman of the 723rd Tank Battalion, 71st Infantry Division 1955, Operation Moosehorn in Alaska, the 71st Inf Div also had elements at Ft Lewis Wash St, they units in both places when it was active again in the mid 50s. (Topic Link Below photo).

post-1761-0-61206900-1502315197.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18511-armored-patches-worn-on-chest/