A11 flight helmet with mask hook on backwards?

AZPhil

Hello All,

I have seen several A11's with what I think is the mask hook on backwards.

But I have seen several of them and I wanted to know if this is for a different type of O2 mask I am not aware of.

Also the others I have seen use the same string attachment.

Can I get your thoughts on this one?

post-11740-0-47611500-1568860534.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info you could share.

Semper Fi

Phil

Here is the other one that was posted on another site.

post-11740-0-52534900-1568862135.jpgpost-11740-0-33866700-1568862151.jpg

There are three total I found like this and really would like to learn something here.. I was thinking it was wrong ,,but maybe there is an answer.

Semper Fi

Phil

if there is a hook on the right side...I would say the hook on the left is placed there to prevent the use of those studs for straps to snap to..ie to make sure the straps are snapped on to the upper stud and lower left stud...the one pic shows the hook and the female side of snap on the stud, thus preventing its use...just a thought

There are folks on the forum that know life support tech orders...they might have something on this...the A11 was used well into the 60s by the uSAF for various uses..

Thanks Phantomfixer for the additional info. I hope one of the life support folks take a look at this thread and come up with a definitive answer for this odd set up.

I like the user name. I guess you were a F4 fan?? I was a A4 Skyhawk tech for 4 years then other A/C's!!

Semper Fi

Phil

I really believe they just issued them this way. Tied in place to prevent them from getting lost. Set up for a right handed unhook, but easily reversed. Mine also has the O mask which is tagged and numbered to the helmet. I think it was more of a quick easy to use right out of the box sort of thing.

That is a possibility.. The mask did come with 2 hooks along with other snaps and fittings and it would be the life support folks who would be putting these together for issue to the crews.. It would have given the crew member the chance to replace a broken of missing hook if one was lost with out having to get a new one from the LS shop. Just a thought!!

My A14 O2 mask that I got was NOS in the box .It did come with 2 hooks and these accessory's.. I used one hook for my AN-H-15 setup. So that is why there is only one in the pic provided in the accessory package.

post-11740-0-16160000-1569082450.jpg

post-11740-0-03936600-1569082467_thumb.jpg

Semper Fi.

Phil