Beast I echo, a fantastic article and thanks for sharing. From what I gather, I think my coat more closely matches the 1900 pattern. It still has some variance, including the pocket flap size and shape most notably as well as the high collar (mine is measuring in at about 2 1/4 inches tall). In general, most of the description of the 1900 coat closely matches, and I am leaning toward this one being made maybe in theater.

Thought I would post some close ups of the previously posted photo in my collection to just enlarge a couple of figures. Love the screen vent campaign hat on the lap of the seated officer. I think this was a pattern 1902 if I recall correctly and mainly worn by the Army, but you do see some Marines using them.

post-21606-0-54997600-1568691435.jpg

post-21606-0-74860200-1568691459.jpg

It seems to me the standing Marine far right second photo above has pocket flaps similar in design to my tunic. Seems like a higher collar as well but tough to tell. I thought there was a lower pocket peaking through but once blown up I am not so sure.

US Victory Museum

Thought I would post some close ups of the previously posted photo in my collection to just enlarge a couple of figures. Love the screen vent campaign hat on the lap of the seated officer. I think this was a pattern 1902 if I recall correctly and mainly worn by the Army, but you do see some Marines using them.

The screen vent campaign hat is the 1899 pattern (spec 480).

The subsequent campaign hats had the five pointed star vent holes until their replacement by the

ubiquitous service hat of 1912 we recognize by its "Montana Peak."

post-1529-0-34418200-1568731388.jpg

Folks, thank you for the kind words on my article. I think this period in US military history, especially for the Marines, is fascinating and am really looking forward to getting Alec's book!

Wanted to add these two early Pattern Khaki shots to the thread...they are from a detail of a larger image taken in the PI before August 1903, when the Marine returned stateside. So again that 1st pattern field uniform

IMG_7885.jpg

IMG_7886.jpg

• 1 year later...
militaryoutfitter

Your photo early in the post is not Daubenfeld, it's one of his buddies. I have his photos and written/printed material, and that photo looks nothing like him. That's why the tunic does not match. If you PM me in a few days, when I'm home, i can give you more bio and service info on Perry Daubenfeld. 

Capt. Daubenfeld has an entry on Findagrave, as seen here:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/143780190/perry-daubenfeld

It contains the below photo, in case it is any help.  

I do acknowledge that members add those entries, and they may not always be 100% accurate, but I find them to be really good.

34F034A2-0060-458D-84B3-2518124A79E8.jpeg

Thanks much Blacksmith. He sure looks like the same man in the photo I have in this grouping, in post #2. Outfitter, I am really interested to see what you might have. Kevin 

• 6 months later...
Salvage Sailor

Period photograph, Marines marching on King Street in Honolulu, 1909.  More Here

008a.jpg

008b.jpg

008e.jpg

• 1 year later...

Marines in a battleship detachment,  1901.   They both look old to be privates, but I know not uncommon back then.  Also, interesting that their trousers would have been considered bell bottoms in the 60-70s.   Would this uniform also have been in use during the Span Am War?

US Marines on a battleship  1901.jpg

50 minutes ago, aerialbridge said:

Marines in a battleship detachment,  1901.   They both look old to be privates, but I know not uncommon back then.  Also, interesting that their trousers would have been considered bell bottoms in the 60-70s.   Would this uniform also have been in use during the Span Am War?

US Marines on a battleship  1901.jpg

Yes great image and yes, this uniform was worn into the Span Am war. Especially evident is the “roll” collar on the Marine to the right. That “droop” style or rolled edge on the collar was changed in 1898 (I have an 1898 dated labeled coat in my collection with the straight collar, illustrating that both styles could be seen in 1898 and probably a few years following. Thanks for contributing to this thread. Kevin

• 9 months later...