M1881 General Officer's Summer Dress Helmet

US Regs said no insignia was to be worn on white helmets. Xed rifles indicates Infantry branch. I notice also that the eagle has painted details. Never saw that before. I am wondering if this is a state militia piece.

Metal GO stars like this were not made that early. Stars were typically embroidered and worn on shoulder straps only. Later metal stars were typically false embroidered style - early 1900's.

G

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

US Regs said no insignia was to be worn on white helmets. Xed rifles indicates Infantry branch. I notice also that the eagle has painted details. Never saw that before. I am wondering if this is a state militia piece.

Metal GO stars like this were not made that early. Stars were typically embroidered and worn on shoulder straps only. Later metal stars were typically false embroidered style - early 1900's.

G

Gil, you highlighted what I was thinking about the star as well. In addition to the infantry crossed rifles, it also has light blue infantry side buttons. The color details looked like French enamel, but it could also just be paint.

The accession number indicates the helmet was purchased for the museum in 2002. I'm not certain it's actually a general officer helmet.

Also, I didn't think general officers wore helmets. Wasn't the chapeau reserved for them and staff officers at this point?

T.S. Akers, MA

Always looking for US Army and Air Force General Officer uniforms and hats.
http://gouniforms.blogspot.com/

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This reminds of a bright white felt 1902 style general officers cap that was on the forum a few years ago. I have not been able to find it. Even had the gold embroidered oak leaves around the sides as well as the bill. The consensus it was a band hat. The quality made be think it might actually be a non regulation generals hat. A year later I came across a full color image of General Nelson Miles in full parade dress wearing the exact same style of hat so much so I wondered if it might not be his.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Seeking Model 1895 and 1902 Named Officer coats as well as Spanish American War Tropical Uniforms.
Also pre WW2 marine uniforms. Always pre-1945 Colorado National Guard Items wanted! Also seeking Rhodesian

Uniforms and Gear used by Americans in the Rhodesian Security Forces during the Bush War (Africa).

Fortune cookie say: "An expert is someone that knows so much about so little."