1960s USMC Utility Uniform Grouping

What's wrong with the boots?

I think the outside surfaces are pretty scuffed and dried out? I am not too sure how to describe it as I have not really worked with leather before. I am interested in doing some reenacting at a local museum so I would like to try and revitalize these a little bit. (I don't intend to do walk any serious distance in these given how uncommon they see to be).

The soles on those boots could very likely self destruct if they were worn around with any kind of frequency.

Id keep them for display.

Thats a great uniform set. Very cool! Do you have any other history on the vet? It would be interesting to know where he might have worn this set.

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2018.gif

donation2017.gif

Don't even polish them: I live near a Marine base and everytime I've bought a vintage trunk lot with Marine boondockers in the them they looked like yours.

For renacting I'd look for a pair of the Vietnam era leather boots issued to all services: you can find those in very usable condtion for not a lot of money.

There was a retired police officer in Seattle whose name fits (that is a very uncommon last name and his middle initial is D) -

aug2.jpg

aug1.jpgaug1.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Don't even polish them: I live near a Marine base and everytime I've bought a vintage trunk lot with Marine boondockers in the them they looked like yours.

For renacting I'd look for a pair of the Vietnam era leather boots issued to all services: you can find those in very usable condtion for not a lot of money.

There was a retired police officer in Seattle whose name fits (that is a very uncommon last name and his middle initial is D) -

attachicon.gifaug2.jpg

attachicon.gifaug1.jpgattachicon.gifaug1.jpg

I have a pair of Mcnamara boots that I have been using as stand ins. Could be the guy. I picked the lot up from a store in Kirkland, just north of Seattle.

THe early tall issue boots were more like an oiled rough out I recall and not a smooth leather like the later issue boots.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..