Heavy tank MkVIII, full scratch 1/16 scale

Manu-Military

Hello,

This is the new long term 1/16 scale build from scratch I’m starting to tackle with: the 1919 heavy tank MkVIII to complete my range of tanks of the interwar period (after the Chrsitie T3 built in 2010 and the most recent Ford 3 ton tank).
The work has just begun so this is where I’m so far and I'll post more photos when more sub-elements are ready.
Thanks for reading this.
Manu

P.S.: though in 1/16 scale, as usual my model will irremediably stay static.

dsc_0012.jpg

• 3 months later...
Manu-Military
Hello,

After a cumulated 5 to 6 days of work, here's where I'm.

Thanks for looking.

Manu

P.S.: if ever I'm asked, here's the answer:

- 275 rivets, 1,4mm,

- 54 rivets, 1mm.

p1150114.jpg

p1150115.jpg

p1150116.jpg

p1150117.jpg

p1150119.jpg

p1150118.jpg

p1150120.jpg

p1150121.jpg

p1150122.jpg

Wow! Incredible work so far. Thanks for answering the question of "How many rivets" but I want to know, did you order the rivets or scratchbuilt them yourself?

I am really looking forward to what looks like to be an extraordinary model.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Manu-Military

Thank you for your interest in this (long term) project.

Wow! Incredible work so far. Thanks for answering the question of "How many rivets" but I want to know, did you order the rivets or scratchbuilt them yourself?

I am really looking forward to what looks like to be an extraordinary model.

Semper Fi.

Manny

All the rivets come from the excellent Masterclub range.

They have a pretty extensive range of rivets, nuts and bolts of different shape and diameters with very clean moulding.

The only drawback is that they are in resin and thus can't be glued with styrene glue.

So far the only part I scratchbuilt is the vision slit that I have had duplicated inresin by a friend.

The mg's ball mounts are 3D printed.

What an excellent project! How many hours did you spend for the hull so far?

This build took me a cumulated five days time frame to achieve it.

Thanks for looking, I'm now working on the side track frames, next one will be then the center hull and finally the gun sponsons ; pretty long term project...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Manu-Military

Hi all,

Though my work is at this stage still look rather ugly, this project is coming along pretty nicely and it at last starts to show what the result will look like.

Next steps will be the exterior side frames then the gun barbettes and finally all the surface details such as the rivets.

Thanks for watching.

dsc_0035.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Manu-Military

Hi,
The engine deck is done.
Still some more rivets to add to the front and rear of the hull, the tensioning system to create on both side of the inner panels.
Once all these are done, the center hull will be totally done.
Next step the gun barbettes and oustside panels (already in construction).
Both tracks (148 cm long each) are already almost ready to be put in place in the very last stage of the process.

dsc_0045.jpg

dsc_0044.jpg

dsc_0037.jpg

dsc_0036.jpg

huntssurplus

WOW! Looks amazing so far! I'm curious what you made it out of? I haven't seen any of your other model builds until now, but you mentioned rivets so I'm guessing it's made out of some sort of metal or something? Can't wait to see it finished!

Hunt

Manu-Military

Thank you all!

The masonry is finished on one of the casemates.

It is ready to receive all the small finishing refinements such as the rivets not to mention them.

I only have one left to finish but it's already underway.

dsc_0046.jpg

dsc_0047.jpg

I never was a fan of " boxed" plastic kits nor 1:35 or 1:48 scales, until I was gifted a very large collection of 1:16 scale aircraft. 1:16 scale simply can not be appreciated until handled and viewed....same with handmade, handcrafted by skilled modellers like you. Wise decision using your skill in building in 1:16- be sure to sign and date them!

• 3 months later...
Manu-Military

Hi,

Sooo, this long term project is coming along nicely, slowly but surely.

I already achieved the upper casemate, the main central body and remained the four sides to "dress".

Though the two inner ones are already in progress as is the left outer one, it is now time to show the right hand side completed with its complete set of road rollers greasing ends, rivets and bolts.

Thanks for looking!

10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Manu-Military

Hi,

After having built this beast from scratch using about 595 parts and adding more or less 3370 rivets and bolts of all sizes, the building process is over and the kit is now ready for paint.

Tracks made of individual links are not installed yet.

The model is 67 cm long, 22 cm wide and 19 cm high.

A lot more photos are available @ http://manu-military.e-monsite.com/pages/entre-2-guerres-30-s/international-liberty-mkviii-tank.html

Thanks for watching.

5_1110.jpg

5_111.jpg

5_810.jpg

5_610.jpg

5_1010.jpg

5_411.jpg

Proud Kraut

Wow, what a monster! You did a terrific job on this one, outstanding! Are there any 1/35 scale variants of this tank available?