WWI Wings Questions

GeneralLucas

I have a chance to aquire these two wings but they are mounted so I can't see the backs. The one on top is a pin back and perhaps the other is also. I can not find out anything about Lt. Freeman Gault. So do the wings at face value look good? And can someone research Gault? Thanks so much...

post-1658-0-56590600-1568153108.jpg

I would say both wings appear to be genuine but not in the best condition. The full size is slightly better on the front as it exhibits no mothing, but who knows how bad the backs are? Both wings are heavily oxidized.

I always hate to buy embroidered when they are under glass and I can't examine them closely. Like a lot of wing collectors, I care almost as much about the backs as the front.

Lt Freeman Galt does not come up in the Daedalians list. Its only about 90% accurate though.

If I had to guess, I would start looking at this fellow.

Freeman Pleasant Galt. Born in the Indian territory of Oklahoma. I can't find any information on his military service, but he did live in Ardmore OK (1917-1918), which is relatively close to Post Field Ok. Post Field was one of the airfields where WWI pilots were trained.

The timing and age are right for your guy. He died in 1954 or so.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/155053347

Bingo....

Lieutenant Galt was an Instructor in Air Service at Kelly Field

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/regional/states/topics/ok/21822/

The important part: LIEUT. FREEMAN GALT, son of Judge and Mrs. JOHN L. GALT, who several months ago was transferred from the U. S. Navy to the U. S. air service, is instructor of formation at Kelly Field, No. 2, San Antonio.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks you so much.....when I purchase these wings in about 10 days, I will post them and advise you. Excellent work.

Did you ever get these? Would love to see them!

• 5 months later...