WWII USN Pinback Sterling Enlisted Pilots Wings Good or Not ?

redone

My understand and also mentioned the book USN Wings of Gold was that silver pilot's wings were created from polishing off the gold finish to get a silver wing used my enlisted pilots. The wing I have pictured was made in silver with a frosted back. The fastener is a pinback style. The back also is hallmarked V-21-N and STERLING. Is this a real Navy wing or a piece made for collectors?

Thanks

post-1056-0-97261600-1568146287.jpg

post-1056-0-63104500-1568146297.jpg

Navy enlisted pilots wore gold wings, not silver wings. There was a brief time in the 20's when USN observers wore silver colored wings. Enlisted pilots never wore silver wings though.

Simply a commemorative piece by Vanguard.

To reiterate Patrick’s statement...

NAVAL ENLISTED AVIATORS (NAP) NEVER WORE SILVER WINGS.

ALL Aviators, USN, Coast Guard, USMC...including Enlisted and Airship wore the same Naval Aviator Wing Badge.

John

Is it possible that these are actually a foreign wing? I know that many US insignia makers were producing insignia for foreign governments and I have seen a fair amount of insignia that looks identical or nearly identical to US insignia, but was made for foreign governments. As an example, you will occasionally come across a Master Navy/ Marine parachute badge. These weren't made for US forces, but there are at least a couple foreign services that use the same pattern of wing.

Allan