USMC Shore Party Helmet & cover

Mr.Jerry

Just got this one in from the vet that wore it!

Interestingly, I also got his OG-107s fatigues that have a red patches on them as well.

IMG_2029-SMALL.jpg

IMG_2027-SMALL.jpg

IMG_2036-SMALL.jpg

Awesome helmet! I'm not sure why but these shore party helmets always catch my fancy. I added one to my collection not too long ago but it's not nearly as nice as this one!

I know it's the helmets forum but you've got to share at least one picture of the marked fatigues!

Looking good so far but we need to know more about the Marine.

I'll second this!

Thanks Jerry. I guess I never thought about Korea and Vietnam as having real amphibious assaults.

So much to learn... :)

He actually served in Vietnam! (61-62)

I'll get more pics soon.

Thanks Jerry. I guess I never thought about Korea and Vietnam as having real amphibious assaults.

So much to learn... :)

Inchon for Korea and I know some Marines hit the beach in landing craft in Viet Nam but I don't think those landings were opposed.

They weren't always used on the beach,

I've seen footage of marines being resupplied in the field, 2 men with Red Squares on their covers tossing out cases of C rats and ammo, at least one had a frogskin cover

Mr. Jerry- I visited with a USMC Vietnam veteran who wore the red square on his headgear and clothing but he was involved with helicopter landings/re-supply. I will forward some photos of a few photos of his for reference.

I arrived in Da Nang on May 10, 1966 and I was assigned to 3rd Shore Party Bn. I was immediately given several 1" red squares and 1" X 3" red rectangles to be sewn on my covers and trousers. My avatar shows myself (left) and two others three days later before leaving the perimeter for a night LP. I don't remember red squares on our helmet covers.