Thoughts on this Marine Raider patch?

Eric Queen

It looks a little odd to me but I am by no means an expert on these.

Was hoping to get the thoughts of some of the people here.

Thanks,

EQ

61a.jpg

That's the one. I have never seen one like it and was wondering what others thought. For $1850.00 it's probably not going to be going out the door quickly....

Thanks

EQ

normaninvasion

I've been tempted to buy 101st patch from him, but have heard mixed reviews about him. The concensus seems to be that his stuff is priced high. But his patches seem to be all real good examples. Would like to hear reviews.

145 views and 1 opinion? Has anyone ever seen one like this before? Any thoughts on its origins (New Zealand? Australia?)

Thanks

EQ

I would agree with Doyler as being Japanese made. It may not have been made for a Raider but as part of a patch board showing the work the tailor shop could do. An example is the patch boards purchased by Bob at Vintage Productions about a year ago.

Thanks. Honestly my original thought was that (with this type of quilting) it could be Japanese made as well, but I wasn't sure if these guys were still wearing the patch at the time of the Occupation as I believe the units were disbanded in FEB of 44 and most of their assests reallocated to the 4th Marine Division. The seller claims that is has been removed from a jacket so, who knows....

Thanks again.

considering the Raiders were disbanded by the end of the war, my guess would be for a display board, as well, or just as a souveneir by a former Raider...

as for originality, well...embroidered bullion USMC patches are few and far between, and should always be approached with caution