Vietnam dated 1971 Mk 87 500 pounder practice bomb.

Finally got around to mounting the Mk 87. Iconic, the B52 hammered the enemy with 500 pounders, about 108 of these were dropped by a B52 in a carpet bombing run. The MK 87 is a practice bomb, to be filled with water. Going to be hauled out for a Veterans donation event.post-180924-0-64107800-1567894470_thumb.jpeg

It would be neat to have a 6-foot person stand next to the bomb to get an appreciation of the size. Nice touch using the helmet for donations.

Nice looking display!

I have one in the backroom of the shop I have been hesitant to bring out, because its a bit 'tipy' on end. I like the base you used - did you fabricate that or re-purpose something?

Nice looking display!

I have one in the backroom of the shop I have been hesitant to bring out, because its a bit 'tipy' on end. I like the base you used - did you fabricate that or re-purpose something?

I made it with two 4x4s, 4 ft each. One 4 ft section is cut into two pieces, they are placed in an X , 3/4 " on top and bottom for reinforcement. The smoke tube runs from the nose charge to the tail and a 4 ft 3/4" steel rod fits into it. The 3/4" steel rod fits tight in the hole in the wood and the bomb smoke hole. Surprisingly stable. I can send pics if interested.Simple to construct and disassembles for transport to shows.

Nice looking display!

What year is yours? If not stenciled, remove one of the mounting d rings and the part number and date is on the bottom section.

Nice looking display!

What year is yours? If not stenciled, remove one of the mounting d rings and the part number and date is on the bottom section.

The stand design, and the trolley I use to wheel it around, single handed. The same 3/4" steel rod to hold it standing, I remove it and slide it into the trolley 4x4 section and bomb smoke tube. All built from scrap wood ( the two wheels are off a grill I threw out).post-180924-0-26071100-1567962966_thumb.jpeg

Forgot, the bomb is about 93" long. I had a hard time finding the MK87 number, they also made a 250 lb model, 750 and 1,000 pound model....all the same shape with the interior smoke tube running from the nose to tail. TMs state the nose smoke charge can be seen from 8-10,000 ft....

Hi Guys - I got this Viet Nam era U.S.Navy practice bomb at a yard sale about 10 years ago and it's been hanging in my workshop ever since. Think I paid $15 for it. It's designed to hold water or sand and as you can see from the picture it's had a lot of use

post-163461-0-99959400-1567968196.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Carried it out to work for our monthly Care Package for Troops drive. We send hundreds of care packages to troops in Afghanistan, Iraq, Navy carriers, etc...this drive raised about $1500. Interesting props always tend to raise more donations....emptied the helmet every ten minutes...post-180924-0-23363400-1568933193_thumb.jpeg