WW2 BOMB TRAILER???

Dubar1

I'm looking for any information on the trailers they use to pull the bomb loads up to the aircraft. I've seen pictures of several of them hooked togehter behind a tractor or jeep.

Nomenclature, drawings, whatever I can find. I've tried to search the internet but if you don't know what it's called to begin with it's hard to get good data.

Thanks,

Bob

craig johnson

Look on G503 1/2 ton trailer section. There are numerous posts about bomb type trailers.

http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=28&...296feeaa69d8540

Ive saved a few photos of trailers for sale. Think they were all on EBAY.

http://handcartz.smugmug.com/gallery/1656841_JBeWM

Not sure about these two

http://handcartz.smugmug.com/gallery/4303799_EohsS

Craig

Lets see if this will help you. These are from the Ordnance School publication OS 9-63 titled Handbook of Ordnance Material, dated June 1944 (2nd Edition). I know the first one is not a trailer, but it completes the set.

TK1.jpg

TLRM1.jpg

TLRM5.jpg

TLRM22.jpg

Thanks guys! Looks like the M5 trailer is the one I was thinking of, but it looks wider than I pictured. I recall seeing a line of trailers being pulled behind a vehicle and it appeared they were carrying a single bomb (therefore narrower, noy much wider than the bomb), but it may have been the angle of the photo or it may have been a RAF bomb trailer in use by the USAAF. I'll check all those links out too!

Thanks again,

Bob

Charlie Flick

A contemporary photo of the bomb wagons in use in the PTO.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

pacific-bomb-loading.jpg

Thanks guys!

Charlie, I think those are the carts I was thinking of. I see that is a photo of a USMC P-38 so maybe only the Navy used those small, single bomb carts?

In the pictures from LIFE, I like the flag on the bomb trailer... a little regulation niceity that seems to have been skipped in theater.

Also, those bombs look like they have been painted a lighter color.

brandon_rss18
Thanks guys!

Charlie, I think those are the carts I was thinking of. I see that is a photo of a USMC P-38 so maybe only the Navy used those small, single bomb carts?

The P-38 Lightning was strictly a Army Air Corps aircraft. They did fly cover for the marines in the PTO however, but only flown by AAC pilots.

Brandon,

LOL, I should have known that. Sometimes I don't see the obvious (forest for the trees thing).

Here's a photo of a trailer I found on the internet, but I can't relocate the website I found it on (they also had a Navy MKIV trailer in their photos). It could very well be someone on this forum so please forgive me for not giving credit for the photo:

350595906.jpg

I'd like to find the dimensions of this trailer if possible.

• 12 years later...