Saddam's Spider Hole & the 4th Infantry Division Museum

james127

I had a chance to visit the 4th Infantry Division Museum at Ft Carson this past summer while on a trip to Colorado Springs. Very cool museum. I went in expecting to see a lot on the Utah Beach invasion, but the real surprise was in the Global War on Terror section. Definitely worth the stop if you happen to be traveling through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtW2DjMv_fo&t=3s

They also have the M4 that Medal of Honor recipient Clinton Romesha carried during his time in combat. Tons of interesting stuff that you won't see anywhere else.

post-158118-0-94624700-1567812303_thumb.jpg

Looks like M1936 Suspenders on a WWI uniform. Maybe it was the soldier's and he was a retread? The medals suggest it came from one man as the PH didn't come around till '32. Can't see a museum like that just throwing stuff together with no reason, but....

Looks like M1936 Suspenders on a WWI uniform. Maybe it was the soldier's and he was a retread? The medals suggest it came from one man as the PH didn't come around till '32. Can't see a museum like that just throwing stuff together with no reason, but....

Wow. Good spot on the suspenders. My depth of knowledge on gear isn't quite that extensive. I'm not sure what you mean on the Purple Heart though. Do you mean that the design on it changed in '32?

It didn't exist (except for the Revolutionary War design) before 1932. Being wounded was shown by a chevron on the right sleeve. Guys had to put in for them to get one for wounds received in WWI, the Span Am and even Civil War.

Wow. Good spot on the suspenders. My depth of knowledge on gear isn't quite that extensive. I'm not sure what you mean on the Purple Heart though. Do you mean that the design on it changed in '32?

It didn't exist (except for the Revolutionary War design) before 1932. Being wounded was shown by a chevron on the right sleeve. Guys had to put in for them to get one for wounds received in WWI, the Span Am and even Civil War.

Interesting. Learn something new every day. I can't recall if the uniform set in the museum was attributed to an individual or not. If it was, I wonder if the veteran applied for his medal later in life. Either way, probably not the best choice to include it in the display.

Nice video you put together and looks like a great museum to visit??.....mike

Thanks! Appreciate that. I teach high school American History, so I've started putting these together to supplement my lessons and give the students a virtual field trip of sorts. And yes, the museum was cool. Definitely worth the stop.

Good idea. I've had a strangely large following and the collection bits I bring in are always pretty popular. I might try the virtual field trip thing myself.

Thanks! Appreciate that. I teach high school American History, so I've started putting these together to supplement my lessons and give the students a virtual field trip of sorts. And yes, the museum was cool. Definitely worth the stop.