WW II Merrowed Edge 41st ID?

Desertrat

I have seen pictures but this is the first one I have been able to buy. Did I get a WW II example or a Post War added merrowed edge?

post-2527-0-91734300-1567712388_thumb.jpg

post-2527-0-99436500-1567712373_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I have the same one and I've been wondering myself. My edge is a lighter color od then yours

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Jerry I've compared to mine which I've always felt was a WWII period example, again my border is a lighter shade than yours, but everything else checks out. I'd feel comfortable saying it is WWII and these are not falling out of the sky. Not a lot of examples of WWII patches with the ME but have a Alaska Defense Cmd. on a cut down 4 pocket that came from the vet. I'm not sure about the Gemsco connection but could be...George

Jerry I've compared to mine which I've always felt was a WWII period example, again my border is a lighter shade than yours, but everything else checks out. I'd feel comfortable saying it is WWII and these are not falling out of the sky. Not a lot of examples of WWII patches with the ME but have a Alaska Defense Cmd. on a cut down 4 pocket that came from the vet. I'm not sure about the Gemsco connection but could be...George

Thanks for the confirmation, George. I paid under $15 for it, so I wasn't too unhappy if I was wrong.

This is undoubtedly a WWII manufactured patch. There are other WWII merrowed edge patches out there like the 506th PIR pocket patch, Cadet Nurse patches, and others.

Allan

You can also tell it's WW2 manufacture because the " tail " from the merrowed edge process is tucked inside the finished edge

unlike modern " tails " that have a piece of tape on them

This was and is a little known fact and a good trivia question. First learned of this fact 25 or so years ago from longtime collector Pete Bonner. Besides the 41 and 506th believe there are one or two other that have the merrow edge if memory serve me correctly.

Saw this thread and had to laugh! I got my version of this same patch from Pete Bonner at a Tacoma Wa show about 20 years ago! He told me the the same thing and to hold on to it and don't take crap from people that tell you different!

I would say that your patch is 100% US made and is the same as what started this thread. I don't know that I have ever seen anything fully embroidered by the Australians. I think someone just thought the manufacturing process was unusual so it must have been foreign made. This may be logical, but I do not believe it is accurate.

Allan

Allan, thanks for the information.The sunrays on this is so much different from the other US made pieces I have, so I have always been wondering about this one for some time now.

This was and is a little known fact and a good trivia question. First learned of this fact 25 or so years ago from longtime collector Pete Bonner. Besides the 41 and 506th believe there are one or two other that have the merrow edge if memory serve me correctly.

The Johnsons wrote about a lot more in the JS 2005 Trading Post.