US Dog tag WW1 ?

Fléo

Hi! and good evening from France :rolleyes:

This dog tag was found in a forest of Mayenne (Western France). It seems to me that it is an US model of the WW1.
I can read :
Harry Covington
TM ?C
U.S.N.A
On the back, there is the military number:

220*600

Can you confirm that this is a dog tag of ww1 ?

And I would like information about Harry Covington to maybe find his children, grandchildren and give them his dog tag.

Thanks a lot.

My best regards.

Lau

post-252783-0-55554900-1567625677_thumb.jpg

post-252783-0-72459300-1567625711_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I hope someone can give you a answer, that very noble of you to want to return it to family members. Yes it is ww1 us dog tag

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I believe this might be your soldier.

I think the MD stand for Medical Department, NA stands for National Army, and F.H. 368 stands for 368th Field Hospital.

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

I'm not 100% positive this is his WWI Draft Registration but Durant, MS is about 84 miles from where it showed his sister living in Water Valley, Mississippi.

g7.jpg

g8.jpg

Now, I’m almost certain that I have the correct WWI Draft Registration of Harry Covington as it shows his race as “negro”.

Black men were segregated into all black units, the 92nd and the 93rd division. Harry’s assignment with the 92nd Division, 317th Sanitary Train, Field Hospital 368.

Some of this information below came from the following source: https://www.reclaimingkin.com/black-soldiers-in-world-war-1/

But what is a “Sanitary Train”? The Sanitary train was essentially a part of the medical team.

The sick and wounded after receiving emergency treatment from the medical corps personnel at the regimental, battalion or support unit level were evacuated to the next phase of physician directed care which was provided by the infantry division’s Sanitary Train.

This 950 man unit consisted of a:

• Train Headquarters

• Ambulance Section

• Field Hospital Section

• Camp Infirmaries

• Divisional Medical Supply Unit

The word ‘train’ identifies units assigned to support the entire infantry division. There were four trains: Ammunition, Supply, Engineer and Sanitary. All of these were mobile and relied on their horse drawn and motor vehicles to perform their supporting roles.

The role of the Sanitary Train was to provide medical care for the entire division through its ambulance and field hospital sections and Camp Infirmaries.

The National Archives in College Park, Maryland has the original records of the 368th Field Hospital.

https://www.archives.gov/college-park

Unlike the other Field Hospitals, the 368th did not operate as an actual hospital, but as a mobile unit.

Interviews Online

https://theworldwar.pastperfectonline.com/bysearchterm?keyword=317th+Sanitary+Train

On this website are transcribed and digitized interviews of two African-American men who had also served in the 317th Sanitary Train during World War I.

These interviews provide details about their experience. The soldiers sailed to France on two sister ships named the Great Northern and the Northern Pacific. The trip took 7 days.

So far, I’ve not been able to find Harry Covington’s gravesite or any relatives information.

g9.jpg

g10.jpg

Thank you very much, Aznation, for informations and documents about this soldier.

I now know who he was and where he came from. I did not find it either on the sites about cemeteries and American graves.

But you help me a lot in this "investigation" !

Again many thanks

You're welcome. I finally figured out what it says where his residence was on the WWI Draft Registration. It's Marks, Mississippi. That's also the location where he was working.

I also found these on FamilySearch.org website.

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

You're welcome. I finally figured out what it says where his residence was on the WWI Draft Registration. It's Marks, Mississippi. That's also the location where he was working.

I also found these on FamilySearch.org website.

Thank you again, dear Aznation, for your latest information.
I like to know the details and I wonder about the "TM" that is written on its dog tag above the sign USNA.
But maybe I read badly...
Do you know what it means?

You're welcome.

When I look at the tag I'm clearly seeing a "T" but I can't make out the "M" that you do. Below the "T", I see "U.S.A." and something off to the right of that. If that is TM, I'm not quite sure what that would stand for.

By the way, after looking (and I've done so extensively), I think it would be a miracle to find a relative of his, living or not without additional found information. I just can't seem to find anything.

The thought of you wanting to return the tag to one of his relatives is very thoughtful and kind however.

Best Regards,

Matt

Hi !
Many thanks again for these clarifications. Yes, it will be difficult I think to find the parents of Harry, but you never know ... I tell myself that if someone had the Dog tag of my grandfather, I would like to find it :)
Looking forward to reading you.
Best regards

• 2 weeks later...