Vietnam Navy SEAL's

tigerman

Yes, I have several pics of SEALs wearing Levi's with cammo pockets on them. It wasn't done very often and was only done around 70/71, mainly by SEAL Team One guys.

Did they wear only Levi's 501 jeans? Or also another type? Sorry i disturbe you with all these questions but I'd like to have my SEAL uniform and equipment 100% authentic...

I just wanted to say that this discussion brought back several memories. I've tried to think of somethings vital to add to the collective knowledge of this group. But I find my memory lacking. You guys know more about the SEALS than I do but I did serve with them several times. I was at the Naval Support bases at Cat Lo and Sa Dec Vietnam in 1969 and early 1970 and did my boat training in Coronado where they were training.

They were definitely bad and unconventional. Pretty much did what they pleased but I guess we all did when we were given the chance. I didn't realize how unique they were til I got back home. They had plenty of MPC, often with Vietnamese writing. We never asked where they got it, but we knew. When we changed over to new script some of them had over a thousand bucks.

The Stoners I do remember as being new to me, made a big impression. But as far as uniforms they looked pretty much like other Navy crews. Scruffy, but always green in my memory. I never saw them wear denim, but who knows?

The SEALs you worked around might have been SEAL 2 guys, they were more "military" looking than the SEAL 1 guys. SEAL 1 guys were a little more rock and roll looking for lack of a better term. While some SEAL 2 guys wore Levi's, they tended to wear ERDLs and tigers though for the most part, at least in the pictures I have, SEALs kinda stopped wearing full tiger suits by 1970, mostly ERDLs. Team 1 guys would wear tiger and ERDL shirts and Levi's or black PJ pants, sometimes the black PJ tops as well. By late 70/early 71, a SEAL 1 platoon photo before an op would have almost everyone wearing Levi's. The float coats first started showing up in 1968 in a prototype version then by 70 the jackets everyone has come to know started showing up though not to many guys wore them due to the bulkiness and the fact they were too hot. These jackets should not to be confused with the float vests that showed up in 67/68. SEAL 2 guys wore these right on thru the war.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a former USN SEAL and Vietnam vet. I was with SEAL TEAM ONE 1970-1973 and served in RVN. We did wear helmets when we were on boats. Never in the field. Flack jackets on the boats as well. Not in the field. We all wore UDT Life jackets on all ops. I wore Levis 501s with pockets from erdl blouse sewn on. I tucked the jacket/blouse into my jeans. Most of the team guys wore bandanas, camo berets, short brimmed boonie hats or no hat. You guys don't look very much like the SEALs I knew. Sorry.

They do look great, but I think we all have to agree that this shot is the best ever of Vietnam SEAL re-enactors.

post-492-1232991686.jpg

Where did you get the Stoner 63A repro?

Friend of mine was a major in the SEALS, first in Marine Recon, before he retired. He said that he remembers in Nam whole SEAL patrols carrying AK47s so that the VC and others wouldn't think any Americans were in the area if they heard shots. SEALS were free to carry whatever they wanted to. He said that he knew a SEAL that use to carry a Marlin lever action rifle in .444. He doesn't remember any SEALs carrying Thompsons, because 45 ACP didn't work well in brush. But he said that anything was carried somewhere if they had ammo for it. John said that he use to carry a streetsweeper during some water insertion missions, but that it was too heavy to carry much on ground. He also said that he carried a Stoner, and I don't think that he meant a M16. John lives near me and is a friendly nice guy, but he doesn't like to explain his SEAL experiences much. I don't push him for details.

I think your friend the "MAJOR" is a phony. Not satisfied to be SEAL or Recon had to be both. Just an opinion. I am a formen SEAL and Nam Vet. Don't think he knows what he is talking about as far as a lever action rifle. He doesn't talk to you about SEALs because he doesn't know anything about them. Send me his full name and I will let you know if he is the real deal.

SEAL76.

I am the guy at the begining of this thread .

I hope I meet your approval standards ??

The big overweight guys well what can I say ???

owen

thanks Bob!!! your Too Kind!!!

of course couldnt do it without Spike and Kammo Man!!!!! they ROCK!!!! :)

One of my favs!!!

P

My kind of BoB.....

Never get tired of this pic.

RD

pwmiraldi67
Paul

Really like the addition of the Navy Sniper stuff...talk about obscure stuff.

Thanks

RD

Hey No problem

I'l;l see if I can dig up some bigger and better photos for ya :)

I do have a nice SEA COBRA patch somewhere :)

heres 2 of my fav SEAL photos :)

paul

post-2472-1245736218.jpg

post-2472-1245736263.jpg

"He was a Captain in the Marine Corp while stationed as a SEAL in Nam"

Maybe I'm stupid but I have NEVER, EVER heard of a Marine Corp. Captain being a SEAL. Only Navy personel become SEALs, you can't be in the Navy and the M.C. at the same time. The only way to be SEAL is to go thru BUD/S training.

"I've got to know more about you before I give you John's name."

Fair enough, I have been researching UDT/SEALs during the VN war for 15yrs, I have just about every single SEAL Team One platoon that went to VN documented, including the name of all the personel in the platoon and in alot of cases, what weapons they carried while on partol. I have alot of the after action reports for SEAL Team 2 which also has the name of all members of the platoon. I have BUD/S training graduation rosters so I can look up just about any name. I also have officer and enlisted personel rosters for both SEAL Teams 1 and 2 during the VN war as well a well over 1000 slides and photos of UDT and SEALs in Vietnam from both Teams. I also have names of most of the LDNN advisors and well as PRU and SCT advisors. If I can't verify a name I know where I can.

Sorry, I really want to believe you and your friend but some things you have said just don't make sense. Just one question, what class did your friend go thru?

As far as the Marlin lever action/bolt action thing, sorry, my mistake, not familiar that weapon.

Spike this guy the Marine Recon/SEAL sounds like the classic wannabe. We need to find out his name and expose him for tht BSer that he is. SEAL76 ST1

I think your friend the "MAJOR" is a phony. Not satisfied to be SEAL or Recon had to be both. Just an opinion. I am a formen SEAL and Nam Vet. Don't think he knows what he is talking about as far as a lever action rifle. He doesn't talk to you about SEALs because he doesn't know anything about them. Send me his full name and I will let you know if he is the real deal.

SeriouslyGet me his name. If he is telling the truth we'll know and if not we'll he needs to wake the hell up. My friends who expose fakes have done this to well over 2000 plus phonies. SEAL 76

I already had addressed this with the poster, I wish I had saved the messages. I lost interest when I figured that this was all BS. Go to page 2, the wannabe guys name and other info are on that page as are my replys.

Hi Spike,

I saw John today and told him what you said and he just laughed. He was a MAJOR in the Marine Corp who was a SEAL. He started in the Marine Corp and he didn't switch to the Navy administratively, no one does. I'm really surprised that you don't know this if you're an expert on SEALS. He was a Captain in the Marine Corp while stationed as a SEAL in Nam. Also, I don't know what bolt action that you are talking about? A Marlin is a lever action. I mentioned to John about all the patrol carrying the AK47s and John wanted to know why would part of a team only carry AK47s if one wanted the VC not to know Americans are in the area. I've got to know more about you before I give you John's name.

I'm probably one of the few, outside of his family, that knows that he was a SEAL. John got his electrical engineering degree while in the Marines and now he earns his living as an engineer. Being a SEAL is not an asset in the space industry, where he works today.

John said that he never remembers seeing a Thompson in country anywheres, but then he said that he wasn't looking for them then.

When I asked John if he has proof that he was a SEAL, he showed me the scar on his neck where the bullet came thru his mouth. He use to joke that he was lucky that his mouth was open. He was hit three times that were bad enough to be evacuated. I've seen his documents and photos. He was in the SEALs.

I'm with Spike on this one. Your guy is full of it. I know Spike personnaly. He knows more about SEALs than some SEALs. I know this becuase I was a SEAL and I know Spike. Other Team guy know him as well and are very open with him. I was in SEAL TEAM ONE 1970-1973. One deployment to RVN. Give me your Major/Captain/Marine who was a Recon/SEAL. His full name. I'll find out if he is the real deal. Anybody can fake paper work. I'd love to see the papers he showed you. Please do yourself a favor and get his full name. If he turns out to be the real deal I'll apologize. I might even be able to find out if he was a real Recon Marine. I doubt that too. SEAL 76

Have a nice day.

Bill Eoff

PS John also thought that it's funny that anyone wants to reenact being a SEAL. He said that he's still trying to forget it.

I think your guy is a phony SEAL and a Phony Recon. Give me his full name and I'll find out. I am a real SEAL BUDS class 57 SEAL TEAM ONE 1970-1973.

vintageproductions

Read post #35 and #36, and all this information has already been answered.

Here is some constructive advice and some kudos.

Just for the record, I've got no dog in this fight or anyone's honor to preserve. It's a minor technicality. I do like it that your point man is using an A1, SEALS had a large distribution of those despite the availability of the XM177. Those were more common among many a team. I also think it's good you have a nice distribution of original or replacement gear. I good set of repro Golden Tigers age just like the real ones that costs hundreds.

Army teams did gear up in CISO made black uniforms with AK chest rigs and carry AKs on snatch missions. This saved lives to look like the enemy on more than one occassion but it was also for missions in no-mans land where they also carried nothing to identify themselves as US. I haven't heard of SEALS doing this type of operation in Laos or Cambodia but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. :ermm:

Numbah 10 - About the Thompson, the reason you wont find wide spread photographs of it's use during Vietnam is because it was replaced by the M3 Grease gun, called the Greaser but more so than that, why would you want your team to field mostly 5.56 and have an odd ball with a .45 out there who 1. May run out of ammo for said oddity 2. cannot share a magazine or consolidate ammo if you run out because he decided he needed a Thompson on a mission where most are carrying A1s or XM177E1 or a Stoner. It's a logic thing...think man, think tactical here. :think:

Numbah 10 x 2 - You dont wear googles in the field. Not only would you get glare off them they aren't necessary...you need an unobstructed field of view. Unless of course the thought of signal beacons to the enemy appeals to you because you are so hungry for killing you advertise when your in the boonies. :w00t:

Numbah 10x3 - The reason Boonies were worn is so you can hear better. No steel lids. If your gonna die, so be it you volunteered for this insanity but there is nothing like a helmet hitting against a tree of falling off your head to give you and your soon to be skeleton crew away. The Navy picture that was shared of the guy in an M1 with a Thompson and a flak vest wading in the good forsaken muck and brown water is what we call 'Hollywood'. :thumbdown:

At the end of the day you have to decide if your just having a hilariously good time together pulling a field op and enjoying the fact that thank god this isn't real, you can order pizza with your artillery strike and head tripping to the Rolling Stones Paint it Black is suitable time travel..or if you really truly want total authenticity to include unit physical fitness standards and qualifying Airborne for one at a civilian jump school...though they wont let you combat jump at 1500 ft.

Thanks for sharing your pics of your 'bush time'. Beware of Claymores in the trees. Charlie is one sneaky Mutha! :unsure:

Boonie Rat, out.

SEALs did wear the black jungle uniform or black PJs and wear the AK vests and carry the AK47 in RVN and in cross border ops. Our Point man was short and wore the AKvest and used the AK47. He did wear the US web gear and UDT lifevest.

• 6 years later...

I am a former USN SEAL and Vietnam vet. I was with SEAL TEAM ONE 1970-1973 and served in RVN. We did wear helmets when we were on boats. Never in the field. Flack jackets on the boats as well. Not in the field. We all wore UDT Life jackets on all ops. I wore Levis 501s with pockets from erdl blouse sewn on. I tucked the jacket/blouse into my jeans. Most of the team guys wore bandanas, camo berets, short brimmed boonie hats or no hat. You guys don't look very much like the SEALs I knew. Sorry.

Hey can I get in touch with you about this? In particular I'm trying to write an article about Levi's 501s being worn in Vietnam by Navy SEALs.

Please send me an e-mail if possible - [email protected]

Thanks!

• 3 months later...