Vietnam Navy SEAL's

tigerman

From what I know about Sea Cobras, they were not SEALS. They were a completely different unit. I also believe they were trained by the 9th division snipers. The Sea Cobras may have operated in the same areas, but they were not SEALS.

Your Right Bob, as usual! The INSHORUNSEAWARGRU1 UNIT THREE were recruited from the ranks based on their marksmanship scores, NEVER Seal trained, just reg sailors, who were then selected and trained at both the US ARMY recondo school and the 9th's Sniper school, they would be tasked out in pairs and attached to Seals, work alone as a Long range Patrol, or even loaned to the Army and set up in stationary positions.

Ive got some photos some where I'll dig em out, along with a few pages of Docs and a write up in the Jack staff magazine from Nam talking about the unit. Ive got photos of them wearing both scrolls denoting them as US Navy snipers and US Navy Long Range Patrol, along with large subdued Sea Cobra patches as well as full color ones even worn on the Dungurees! super cool!

Ive actually met three of them back in 1998.

P

post-2472-1232989177.jpg

Here is some photos from Poland about Seal impression:)))

SUPURB!!!!!!!!!

you guys look great!!!!! No excuse for Americans to do a crappy impression!!!!

My hats off to you guys!!!

Paul

vintageproductions

They do look great, but I think we all have to agree that this shot is the best ever of Vietnam SEAL re-enactors.

seals.JPG

They do look great, but I think we all have to agree that this shot is the best ever of Vietnam SEAL re-enactors.

post-492-1232991686.jpg

thanks Bob!!! your Too Kind!!!

of course couldnt do it without Spike and Kammo Man!!!!! they ROCK!!!! :)

One of my favs!!!

P

post-2472-1232998028.jpg

Heres a photo of the Sniper qual patch on an ORIGINAL INSHORUNSEAWARGRU1 UNIT THREE Sea Cobras jungle jacket, I'll post some more pix

thanks

paul

post-2472-1233093937.jpg

vintageproductions
Heres a photo of the Sniper qual patch on an ORIGINAL INSHORUNSEAWARGRU1 UNIT THREE Sea Cobras jungle jacket, I'll post some more pix

thanks

paul

Paul-Neat shot. This has always been identified as the 9th division snipers pocket patch. Makes total sense with the Sea Cobras being trained by the 9th division.

For towards the brief mentioning of CISO pieces, I was in a strong debate not too long ago

and the title of CISO came up in the discussion.

First of all, for SEALS using any CISO manufactured garments or field gear, I can't say that I have seen such.

But, I wasn't in Vietnam and I was no SEAL, so I guess I could be wrong!

For weapons, I'm sure they could have used anything they wanted, same goes for on the clandestine missions

with SOG....

For the comment of a SEAL toting a Heckler & Koch G3....I have seen one photograph of this in the past.

So, I agree.

More on CISO produced garments and field gear, well....just because a guy may be wearing a black boonie, sure

doesn't make it a CISO produced one.

It could be an issue o.d one that has been dyed black....or a mama-san made one.....but it doesn't necessarily mean that it was CISO.

For black pj's.....these could be anything, yes...they could be CISO, they could also be from the Peoples Self Defence Force, they could be captured VC, or bought locally......as this was a common attire for the South Vietnamese.

I have seen SEALS in spot camouflage, erdl, blue jeans, tigerstripe, etc.....equipped with '56 patt, '67 patt, custom made gear, etc.

Anything is possible, but remember...we should be looking at the big picture, things that were seen, things that were documented, etc.

I have seen some bizarre photos of CIDG troops toting Mosin Nagant carbines......I obviously couldn't tell what origin,

but of course it was either Soviet, Chinese, Hungarian, or Polish.....I have even seen one CIDG troop with a Mosin Nagant M1895 revolver! Can you imagine? Cool....but strange.

The stoners and the modified M16's seemed to be a more common sight though for SEALS than a Thompson,

not to say they weren't used even once...but remember, things that have been photographed and documented.

I am no SEAL expert mind you, but always enjoy looking at whatever branch during Vietnam.

For helmets or fragmentation vests on SEAL missions, not so sure at all.......

You will see them with PBR crews, etc.....but not SEALS.....please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I know that if you watch the movie "84 Charlie Mopic" that you will see a helmet or two being used,

and fragmentation vests....but come on, this was not only a LRRP team, but it was a movie.

The LRRPS would've carried either pieces over the SEALS, but even then....I would refrain from situating myself

in believing it without several photographs. It wouldn't make sense.

Helmets and fragmentation vests may save your life, but on special operations such as a snatch, I don't believe anyone would've wanted to carry such items.....too heavy, too big, and make too much noise....plus they are uncomfortable!

For the re-enacting photos and discussion, play safe and have fun! Thats all that matters.

If you want to carry a musket, go ahead!

But...if you are trying your hardest to group the perfect situation and of the correct timeframe, be as accurate as possible...thats what counts.

Thats my five and a half cents.

Duffy

post-492-1232991686.jpg

YES, definitively!!!!! Thanks is cool pics! Hats off!

Cheers,

Jerry K.

Here's something you don't see every day, Vietnam era face paint, made by Elizabeth Arden. Me and a friend went halves on an EBAY auction of this stuff from aguy that was a SEAL during the VN war, he just never made it to VN. Got about 80 tubes each of black and green so I have roughly 35+ tubes each

post-532-1233256825.jpg

Spike,

If I remember correctly, didn't VP used to have a few? At least a few years back, I swore I saw

some for sale there....

Do you think these are strictly for SEAL or would there be a chance of SF using any?

Also, was there a brown version ever, that you know of?

Duffy

Spike,

If I remember correctly, didn't VP used to have a few? At least a few years back, I swore I saw

some for sale there....

Do you think these are strictly for SEAL or would there be a chance of SF using any?

Also, was there a brown version ever, that you know of?

Duffy

I remember a Ranger who was with the 9th ID Company E said that they had traded some stuff for some; as he put it "Cool face paint in a tube" I had no idea what he was talking about until a few years back when I read about these tubes of face paint, they also had moskitto repeant in em too.

No brown that Ive ever heard of, just Loam and green.

I always wondered a s a kid how the seals got every inch of their face hands and arms cammied with that damn little tube of rock hard clay called a cami stick, now I know!! LOL

P

Paul,

Thanks for the info.

I have never seen or heard of there being brown either.

To camouflage face, hands, and arms with the cammi stick would take forever! LOL....

Duffy

Spike,

Thanks for the info. as well....quite interesting how it was made by Elizabeth Arden!

I remember VP's tubes, but wasn't sure if they had sold or not.

Always thought the tube idea was great, over the stick.

Duffy

Hey

Didn't want to start a new thread

Lately I had an argument with some guy on our Polish forums

The question was: did SEALs ever used STABO rigs?

I claimed it was unlikely to say the least, he said he was deeply convinced they used it but was unable to give any examples.

What do you say?

Hey

Didn't want to start a new thread

Lately I had an argument with some guy on our Polish forums

The question was: did SEALs ever used STABO rigs?

I claimed it was unlikely to say the least, he said he was deeply convinced they used it but was unable to give any examples.

What do you say?

Ive never heard of them using em since they had HAL-3 on call, the STABs standing by, PBRs, swift boats all ready to pull em out, But Spike would know for sure!!!

Spike?? :)

p

Nope, never heard of or seen any STABO rigs being worn by SEALs, sounds like someone is talkin' out their butt because their mouth knows better. What is the site and is it in Polish?

Thank for answers, never heard of SEALs using STABO either, but wanted to be sure.

Yeah, the discussion was in Polish.

It's my group's forum at www.grhtherock.fora.pl, it's the only forum about Vietnam reenacting in Poland. We've got English section also, but it haven't been used yet.

• 1 month later...
pwmiraldi67
Your Right Bob, as usual! The INSHORUNSEAWARGRU1 UNIT THREE were recruited from the ranks based on their marksmanship scores, NEVER Seal trained, just reg sailors, who were then selected and trained at both the US ARMY recondo school and the 9th's Sniper school, they would be tasked out in pairs and attached to Seals, work alone as a Long range Patrol, or even loaned to the Army and set up in stationary positions.

Ive got some photos some where I'll dig em out, along with a few pages of Docs and a write up in the Jack staff magazine from Nam talking about the unit. Ive got photos of them wearing both scrolls denoting them as US Navy snipers and US Navy Long Range Patrol, along with large subdued Sea Cobra patches as well as full color ones even worn on the Dungurees! super cool!

Ive actually met three of them back in 1998.

P

heres the 2 US Navy scrolls from a US NAVY Sniper I met a few years ago, the one reads

US NAVY SNIPERS

and

LONG RANGE PATROL

note the one sniper patch you can see the 9th ID sniper qual patch on his pocket,

p

post-2472-1237784959.jpg

post-2472-1237784969.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello guys,

this is my first post here. I'm very interested in NAVY SEAL's in Vietnam. I saw the picture of the Seal team member in Lewis jeans with extra pocket from leaf pattern throusers on this thread. I love this modification thumbsup.gif and I'd like to modify my jeans like this but I never saw it on original photos from Vietnam. Does anybody have any original photos of this modify jeans? Thanks a lot....