Vietnam Navy SEAL's

tigerman

1075959.jpg

- Det Alpha 9th Platoon SEAL TEAM TWO near Dak To

opniagara19nd7.jpg

- Six one, six one, this is Alpha Team, over...

1066050fd5.jpg

- The Purple Jungle

nam4ip5.jpg

- Contact...

nam5nz8.jpg

- Charlie at 12

nam6os4.jpg

- Slowly bro..

opniagara11tv9.jpg

- Charlie movement

SEALs weren't in country doing ops in 72-73, the last direct action platoons left VN in Dec. of 1971. The only SEALs in country during 72-73 would have LDNN(VN SEALs) advisors. I'm pretty sure no Thompsons were used by SEALs, also, no helmets or goggles were used on ops.

I know, SEAL's never use helmets in ops and no gogles. I see pics of SEAL's with Tommy guns and googles, and the gogles is for pic and for atrezzo.

I have 1000's of pics of SEALs in VN and I don't remember seeing any Tommy guns, Swedish K's and S&W M76's yeah, but no Thompson's.

Thanks for getting back to me .

Keep at it and you will iron out your flaws .

It takes time, And dont go to overboard .

Remember sometimes , less is more .

owen

Somebody told me once that SEALs even used german MP40. I'm pretty sure SEALs would use anything that is in their inventory (what if there are some thompsons)? Although I don't know if it's true, since I never seen any reference photos of SEALs with one. Maybe you can show it to us? It would be interesting. Thanks!

What weapons SEALs may or may not have used in training, especially in the early days, really can't be used as a reference when talking about what weapons SEALs used in VN, especially from about 68 onwards.

Friend of mine was a major in the SEALS, first in Marine Recon, before he retired. He said that he remembers in Nam whole SEAL patrols carrying AK47s so that the VC and others wouldn't think any Americans were in the area if they heard shots. SEALS were free to carry whatever they wanted to. He said that he knew a SEAL that use to carry a Marlin lever action rifle in .444. He doesn't remember any SEALs carrying Thompsons, because 45 ACP didn't work well in brush. But he said that anything was carried somewhere if they had ammo for it. John said that he use to carry a streetsweeper during some water insertion missions, but that it was too heavy to carry much on ground. He also said that he carried a Stoner, and I don't think that he meant a M16. John lives near me and is a friendly nice guy, but he doesn't like to explain his SEAL experiences much. I don't push him for details.

Hmmmm, a Major is an Army rank so that doesn't make alot of sense for the Navy. That throws up a red flag right there as to this friend of yours being a SEAL. Also, while AK47's were used by maybe one member of the squad, never have I seen or heard about a whole squad using AK47's. Shotguns weren't used alot either and why would a SEAL carry a bolt action rifle when there were Stoners, M16's/XM177 E2's and chopped M60's to use, though I do have a pic of a SEAL sitting in a helo at Sea Float in 1970 holding an M14, for whatever reason. Maybe he doesn't like to talk about his "SEAL" experiences because he was never a SEAL or even Marine Recon, they are not interchangeable services. If you have any questions, PM me, I have ways to check names of VN era SEALs including training rosters.

Sorry butt,

The web gear and clothing they are wearing is also wrong for reenacting as a VIETNAM SEAL!!!

Taylor out....

Rather than saying that’s wrong and so on, why not give some advice on how to improve there impression.

As for Thompson’s not working well in the brush, hmmm well they worked pretty dam well in Burma, smells like a walt :rolleyes: .

Well, i know, i know; helmets and gogles are not usually in SEAL, but all web gear and clothing is wrong? I think not. I have mixture..OD an Tiger, AK47, Cap, Smoke and frag grenades, Colt 1911A1, knife and rucksack.. I know that SEAL's not use heavy rucsack because missions lasted no more than a dozen hours, but i look pics an videos were SEAl's use rucks... never say never my friend.

A little bit:

navysealyi9.jpg

frankdelaoliva07bo5.jpg

mobilestrikeforce

Dear Spike,

Can you kindly upload some photo that using M76 SMG during VN war peroid?

I have a M76 toy cap gun & wondering whether I can use it for VN re-enactment or not.

I can only see the actors used the M76 for TV show "Tour of Duty" & lack of period photo.

Thanks.

Tigerman, those guys in the pics look like boat guys. Sorry to rain on your parade but I have 1000's of pics of SEALs in VN, nothing that you see over the internet, all from SEALs personal photo albums, and SEALs just didn't go out on ops carrying Thompson's or wearing flak jackets or helmets. The only time I have seen SEALs wear helmets and flack vests are in pictures of them on the boat going out to an op. SEALs, especially later in the war, wore and carried alot of different stuff. I have movie footage of SEALs on Sea Float coming off a helo after an op and they are wearing Levi's, blue and gold shirts and festooned with ammo. SEAL 1 guys were a little more rock and roll looking than SEAL 2 guys, they tended to be less flashy if you will.

MSF, I don't have any pics of SEALs using M76's in VN, that doesn't mean they weren't used, I just don't have any pics of them being used.

Yes Spike, its true; i have and i see a lot of pics and SEAL's not use helmets and gogles and flak vest, only use the crew of PBR's and support boats. The man of the pic is a diving master. I know that my reenactment is not 100%, is only a funny reenactment. Thanks for replies ;)

Greetings

Don’t see how miss-interpretation of what ever you portray in re-enactment is fun.

The key to it is research and then some.

With some tweaks and swapping you’ll be on the right track.

Sorry if a few, like me, sounded a little too critical. I know the pics were in fun but when you show them on a site like this where there are alot of guy who are pretty anal about details, things are gonna get pointed out pretty quick when they are wrong or not era correct. Have fun, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Hmmmm, a Major is an Army rank so that doesn't make alot of sense for the Navy. That throws up a red flag right there as to this friend of yours being a SEAL. Also, while AK47's were used by maybe one member of the squad, never have I seen or heard about a whole squad using AK47's. Shotguns weren't used alot either and why would a SEAL carry a bolt action rifle when there were Stoners, M16's/XM177 E2's and chopped M60's to use, though I do have a pic of a SEAL sitting in a helo at Sea Float in 1970 holding an M14, for whatever reason. Maybe he doesn't like to talk about his "SEAL" experiences because he was never a SEAL or even Marine Recon, they are not interchangeable services. If you have any questions, PM me, I have ways to check names of VN era SEALs including training rosters.

Hi Spike,

I saw John today and told him what you said and he just laughed. He was a MAJOR in the Marine Corp who was a SEAL. He started in the Marine Corp and he didn't switch to the Navy administratively, no one does. I'm really surprised that you don't know this if you're an expert on SEALS. He was a Captain in the Marine Corp while stationed as a SEAL in Nam. Also, I don't know what bolt action that you are talking about? A Marlin is a lever action. I mentioned to John about all the patrol carrying the AK47s and John wanted to know why would part of a team only carry AK47s if one wanted the VC not to know Americans are in the area. I've got to know more about you before I give you John's name.

I'm probably one of the few, outside of his family, that knows that he was a SEAL. John got his electrical engineering degree while in the Marines and now he earns his living as an engineer. Being a SEAL is not an asset in the space industry, where he works today.

John said that he never remembers seeing a Thompson in country anywheres, but then he said that he wasn't looking for them then.

When I asked John if he has proof that he was a SEAL, he showed me the scar on his neck where the bullet came thru his mouth. He use to joke that he was lucky that his mouth was open. He was hit three times that were bad enough to be evacuated. I've seen his documents and photos. He was in the SEALs.

Have a nice day.

Bill Eoff

PS John also thought that it's funny that anyone wants to reenact being a SEAL. He said that he's still trying to forget it.

"He was a Captain in the Marine Corp while stationed as a SEAL in Nam"

Maybe I'm stupid but I have NEVER, EVER heard of a Marine Corp. Captain being a SEAL. Only Navy personel become SEALs, you can't be in the Navy and the M.C. at the same time. The only way to be SEAL is to go thru BUD/S training.

"I've got to know more about you before I give you John's name."

Fair enough, I have been researching UDT/SEALs during the VN war for 15yrs, I have just about every single SEAL Team One platoon that went to VN documented, including the name of all the personel in the platoon and in alot of cases, what weapons they carried while on partol. I have alot of the after action reports for SEAL Team 2 which also has the name of all members of the platoon. I have BUD/S training graduation rosters so I can look up just about any name. I also have officer and enlisted personel rosters for both SEAL Teams 1 and 2 during the VN war as well a well over 1000 slides and photos of UDT and SEALs in Vietnam from both Teams. I also have names of most of the LDNN advisors and well as PRU and SCT advisors. If I can't verify a name I know where I can.

Sorry, I really want to believe you and your friend but some things you have said just don't make sense. Just one question, what class did your friend go thru?

As far as the Marlin lever action/bolt action thing, sorry, my mistake, not familiar that weapon.