Small KIA 507th PIR 17th Airborne group

beerdragon54

Small group but quite personal. I’m guessing these were his mother’s items she kept. He was killed on the first day of Operation Varsity.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 680th was glider field artillery, so it seems a little odd he would have jump wings and a parachute patch instead of the glider alternative. That's still pretty neat tho.

Edit: I think the reason Kurt mentioned the 507th is that the title mistakenly says 507th KIA group.

I misspoke about the 507th, I had another group in my head. Maybe he was transferred or something. Isn’t that oval used by the 507th though? I could be mistaken.

Cant speak for the 680th....but she version the 17th Airborne were dual qualified.Have both glider and jump qual certificates to a local 194th glider vet.He was dual qualified.

I misspoke about the 507th, I had another group in my head. Maybe he was transferred or something. Isnt that oval used by the 507th though? I could be mistaken.

507 is orange and black.have a named group to a vet who was woth 507 prior to Normandy. Then assigned to 27 prior to Bulge as the unit was severely depleted at Normandy.He missed the drop at Normandy due to training injury.Only man who didnt drown in his stick was his best friend.Later he was killed in Belgium before the vet got back to his unit.

Brian Dentino

Cant speak for the 680th....but she version the 17th Airborne were dual qualified.Have both glider and jump qual certificates to a local 194th glider vet.He was dual qualified.

I believe many men were dual qualified by the time Varsity rolled around so this is not unusual. Lots of glider/para cross trained during their time off the lines as the war progressed.

I believe many men were dual qualified by the time Varsity rolled around so this is not unusual. Lots of glider/para cross trained during their time off the lines as the war progressed.

I knew that was true for infantry units at least, I was not sure about artillery since they would seem to require more specialized training. Good to know it is possible.