Knut H. Raudstein C Cy 506 PIR WWII

Sequatchiee

I'looking for Knut Raudstein family ((2 children).

Knut was a friend of mine, went in France whith his wife at home in 1984 (colonel retired) He passed away in 1985 and then no more contact with his family unfortunately.

I have some informations about his story en WWII commander as Captain of C Cy, wounded on 9 June and again (where ?) in the battle of the Bulge; but he dont't liked to speak of this period oh his life....

I'm looking for some WW photos and more informations to write Memory entry in France.

I know Mark Bando ( excellent parachutists historian has some ones but I Have no mail contact.

Who can help ?

I will share here what I will find, later after writing my entry

Have all a good day ! :D

familytreevets

He had a son, Rod Raudstein. This was his address sometime after 2008. I don't know if it is current:

2658 Alameda Dr.

Paso Robles, California

93446-7134

Rod Raudstein is also on Pinterest trying to collect photos and images of his father. You may be able to contact him through that site.

Karla Noyes is also related to Knut as either a daughter or stepdaughter. She contributes to a family tree record for Knut that can be found on FamilySearch.org.

She can be messaged through that website.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

He was severely wounded on or about 11 June 1944 by a machine gun bullet that shattered his tibia. He spent time in a hospital in England, returned to duty and was wounded again in the chest by an artillery fragment on 9 January 1945.

Thanks Kadet,

I knew it, but I have no informations between he was wound in Normandy and then wound again during the battle of the bulge.....How long in hospital ? training again ? before he came back to 506th ? Did he kept C company commanding when he came back to his unit ?

I think his personnal file in national archives can reply to my questions .....Do you know? :D

His wound in Normandy was severe. His record states that he was hospitalized for 106 days and was released from the 58th General Hospital. I believe he missed the Holland campaign entirely, but eventually returned to HQ 1st Battalion of the 506th. His second wound put him in the hospital for 36 days. He stayed in the 101st until it was disbanded in the Fall of 1945, then transferred to the 82nd. He is shown on the Queen Mary manifest as a Major returning to the US assigned to the 505th PIR in January 1946.

Raudstein was a professional, regular Army soldier before and after WWII. His Army Register entry lists the following milestones:

Born in Washington State 15 April 1917

Entered service from Oregon

Awarded the DSC, BSM, PH (OLC)

Graduated Command and General Staff 1953

Bachelor's Degree University of MD 1960

Enlisted Service 10 January 1938 to 9 October 1939 and 9 September 1941 to 22 October 1941 (OCS)

Commissioned a 2LT Infantry Reserve 22 October 1941

25 November 1947: Regular Army promotion to 1LT to date from 29 January 1945

7 July 1951: Army of the United States (AUS) promotion to LTCOL (Korean War)

6 July 1954: Regular Army promotion to Major.

His service record was destroyed but I have his medical summaries and a few morning report entries. I also have the Queen Mary manifest