M1 with airborne liner

The Rooster

Greetings all. I just picked this up. I liked the shell because its ww2 and named. And I like the westinghouse liner.

Im guessing its a korean used shell. Meaning the name is prob korean war era?

Rooster

post-181333-0-24409800-1567397196.jpg

post-181333-0-99254400-1567397203.jpg

Not sure about the paint on the outter shell. ? Spray Paint ? Some cammo job after the fact ?

Looks kinda fresh ? I have to get it in hand to really see it. Sellers pics.

Captain Woody

Looks like a nice KW era Westinghouse paratrooper liner and a late WWII production McCord shell. Based on the overcoat it looks like it could have seen use all the way into the Vietnam conflict. Is the liner webbing herringbone pattern, or the later synthetic? A close up of the webbing would help determine that

You know, I'm not sure yet as it hasnt come in yet.

But I'l post some better pictures when I get it.

Thank you.

Looks like a nice KW era Westinghouse paratrooper liner and a late WWII production McCord shell. Based on the overcoat it looks like it could have seen use all the way into the Vietnam conflict. Is the liner webbing herringbone pattern, or the later synthetic? A close up of the webbing would help determine that

The liner has no front grommet hole which was deleted from production in the mid 50s. The lack of this grommet indicates post KW and also indicates the webbing is heavy cotton and not HBT, still a very nice liner!

Captain Woody

The liner has no front grommet hole which was deleted from production in the mid 50s. The lack of this grommet indicates post KW and also indicates the webbing is heavy cotton and not HBT, still a very nice liner!

Thank you for pointing that out. I completely overlooked that simple and obvious detail. Rookie move on my part

I got the lid in today. The webbing is cotton. The crown shows a CAPac symbol over stamped with a W and I couldn't see it in the pictures……..

…...But the shell has

the sewn on chin straps, airborne straps that connect to the liner snaps. So its an airborne shell and liner.

I'l get some pictures up as soon as I can. Prob tomorrow.

From what I learned last night, this is a factory made liner not a rigger due to the attachment of the yokes under the A washer.

I think thats correct?

And there are what looks like AA Airborne decals under the green paint on the liner.

Im not sure its the 82nd. But there is definitely airborne in a scroll across the top.

Yea it looks like AA Below the scroll.

On both sides… Pictures to come.

The shell was made during or sometime extremely shortly after WWII. The shell looks to be repainted, but from the sellers pictures it's really hard to tell. Honestly it looks very recently but better pictures will help determine how old the new coat of paint is.

As far as the liner, it's definitely late 1950s or early 60s made liner. (Most likely early 1960s) I'm not sure about the term "rigger" for liners produced during this era, as it's not certain if they are rigger made or manufactured with the yokes attached under or separate from the liner webbing. For example your liner mold was made by Westinghouse, perhaps during WWII and later brought by Capac, (the liner molds) Capac then added their logo, webbed it and did not add the grommet hole as it was not including in the specs anymore.

Regardless the liner is very nice and these early 60s AB liners are becoming harder to find and more collectible as the years go by.

Nice lid!

Thank you Justin,

Yes the shell on the outside is heavily overpainted. The last coat is green and brown spray paint. It has many coats of paint on the outside of it. On the inside its just old dark green.

The liner has a 1952 dated nape strap and a 1951 headband I think, I'l have to pull it off of there to make sure.. I'l get some pics when I can. Also Im hoping the name and number on the steel can be nailed down.

Dave

The heat stamp is 1106J on the shell. Rear seam McCord with what look to me like original airborne snaps.

Im coming up with a manufactured date of December 1944. So its a ww2 lid.

Its got about probably 10 coats of army green underneath Brown and green spray paint,

which covers a light green paint, and the light bright green paint covers a light metallic pink purple with black stars.!!!

Underneath that is a ton of army paint so Im going to strip it down to army green.

3 Theres green under that there crud. !

Look at that chip and you can see the military paint is mighty thick.

post-181333-0-52890700-1567732290_thumb.jpg

Here it is after stripping off all that crud on top. The metallic purple and all.

There is what looks like a capital B stencil and a period on the front in white.

Anyone know what that could have been for ?

Thank you.

post-181333-0-64136200-1567892980_thumb.jpg

4 There are just a few little spots I need to remove some metallic purple.

Otherwise its all stripped. Don't know what the B and period stencil is about ?

Looks like part of an A ? Next to the B to the right ?

post-181333-0-90112400-1567893053_thumb.jpg