Old /New from the Pacific Northwest

Geezer

I must have registered before but for some reason didn't introduce myself. I live north of Seattle near the Canadian border and have been active on the WWII Forums for quite some time, and love military history. I had four brothers in WWII (I'm the youngest of 11) two brothers during the Korean War and I served just before the Vietnam fiasco.

Thanks for having me in your group. Geezer

Welcome from the other side of the country. If I may ask, are some of your siblings still with us. Quite a history of service your family has there.

My oldest brother George, passed two years ago- he was 94. Served in the Navy as a gunners mate on LCT 221. He was in the invasion of Sicily. Salerno, Anzio, and delivered wounded from the LST's from Normandy to England.

Oscar was in the 67th AR of the 2nd Armored Division from N. Africa to Berlin, then joined the Air Force and participated in the Berlin Airlift. He drowned in 1950 in a boating accident.

Robert was a heavy mortar crewman in the 334th IR, 84th ID later in the war and stayed in Germany on Occupation duty. He passed about five years ago. Henry was with the Army Air Force just after the hostilities and was in the medical corp. He spent most of his time state side. (He's 92 now and still goes hunting with his boys in Idaho and Montana.)

Chuck was in the Air Force during the Korean War and served in Guam. He's 88 and doing well .

Walter was with a Anti-Aircraft unit on the 105's during the Korean conflict but didn't go overseas. 86 and still pulls his travel trailer to his fishing places. I was in the Engineers and did 16 months in Korea , and finished at Ft. Louis in '63.

Thanks for the welcome sundance- what state do you call home?

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Rusty. Looks like a lot of good information and knowledgeable members here--hope I can be an asset.

Hello and welcome!

I have friends in the Bellingham area and family near Tacoma. Absolutely beautiful part of the country. I always love my rare visits up there. Last time visiting, when asked how she liked it there, my then teenage daughter replied, "Too many trees"!

Mikie

Nice to meet you Mikie. We aren't quite neighbors, but I'm on the south edge of Portland. So not too far away. Holler if you ever get this way. Always looking for coffee dates with folks that enjoy this pursuit.

Chris

Welcome Geezer. Not quite as old as you but my father and his 4 brothers were WWII era sojers and my brother and other family members Vietnam and cold war vets. Born and bred in Bellingham and now I live 90 miles south in Seattle. Nothing better than the Pacific Northwest!

• 1 month later...

Geezer, I didn't notice until just now that you had asked where I live way back at the start of this thread. I'm in western NY. My interest in the military comes in large part from my Dad who was in the Pacific in WW2. I'm a baby boomer and grew up in a time when everyone's father and mother had served in the military or been involved in the war effort in some capacity. My Mom was in college and in a civil defense group that watched for enemy planes. I also have an ancestor who died at Gettysburg in the Civil War. I'm very proud of all of them.

Welcome Geezer, you and family are great. I served in the Army with good folks from Washington state. I was also in korea too. How was korea for you . Veterans day is coming up, we will ride the veterans in the veteran day parade, I got 3 halftracks we use for the parade. So all you veterans get of your duffel bag and enjoy veteran day. :D