Message to our Canadian members: Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum

cutiger83

Do we have any Canadian members on here? I just wanted to mention something.

Last week, I visited the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Canada. I also went to the air show that was sponsored by the CWHM. Besides being highly impressed with the museum and the air show, I was more impressed with the people of Canada. All of you are the kindest and most generous people I have been privileged to meet. Also, there were so many little things I noticed that all of you do that really impressed me. For instance, I saw people at the air show picking up trash that was blowing in the wind. Not their trash but just trash blown on the ground. That would never happen here in the U.S.

If anyone lives near Buffalo, it's worth the trip to travel to the CWHM. They have a newly restored TBM Avenger that should be flying soon. I really loved seeing the PBY but the B-25 was my favorite!

...Kat

Glad you enjoyed your visit! I saw the B-25 flying that day from my home about 30 minutes away from the airfield.

Did you see the C-47, Lancaster or any other planes fly over? I really liked the Snowbirds. It was a great show.

Have you ever been to the CWHM?

I'm closer to the Rochester area but I've been to that show. It was several years ago when they had the only flying Mosquito there. They also had a replica Messerschmitt 262 but it was quickly grounded because an engine was overheating. Yes, Canadians are good people (it's that litre thing that keeps confusing me).

I was very impressed by how clean Canada is.

Going to Québec is like going to Europe.

A wonderful place.

They have a common purpose and pride in who they are.

Whether you agree with them or not they live by principles.

Thanks for the kind remarks Kat! Glad you enjoyed the air museum, it’s really fantastic! There are a few others scattered across our great country, one of the biggest being the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in our Capitol, Ottawa. We do take pride in our country and we hope visitors notice that, but like every country we also have our issues.

I also take great pride in how close we are to our American neighbors (I can literally see Port Angeles, Washington from the end of my street!) and how we have been there for each other through many difficult times. I hope that never ends!

Again, glad you enjoyed our country and the air Show!

Rick

I was more impressed with the people of Canada. All of you are the kindest and most generous people I have been privileged to meet. Also, there were so many little things I noticed that all of you do that really impressed me. For instance, I saw people at the air show picking up trash that was blowing in the wind. Not their trash but just trash blown on the ground. That would never happen here in the U.S.

Were did that trash come from to begin with? Well I for one think that "we knuckle dragging Neanderthals south of the border", are just as inclined to pick up trash after an event, as well as those "north of the border". Have you ever seen how clean the aftermath of a conservative event is. IE., a Trump rally for example? I live in Vermont and WE Vermonters created/invented a little thing called "Green Up DAY" in the very early 70's. Litter is exceptionally rare here in VT. Must be the Canuks cross the border at night and pick up our trash too!

BILL THE PATCH

Do we have any Canadian members on here? I just wanted to mention something.

Last week, I visited the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Canada. I also went to the air show that was sponsored by the CWHM. Besides being highly impressed with the museum and the air show, I was more impressed with the people of Canada. All of you are the kindest and most generous people I have been privileged to meet. Also, there were so many little things I noticed that all of you do that really impressed me. For instance, I saw people at the air show picking up trash that was blowing in the wind. Not their trash but just trash blown on the ground. That would never happen here in the U.S.

If anyone lives near Buffalo, it's worth the trip to travel to the CWHM. They have a newly restored TBM Avenger that should be flying soon. I really loved seeing the PBY but the B-25 was my favorite!

...Kat

I've seen many Americans pick up trash here, it would happen here. painting with a broad stroke aren't you?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

I was more impressed with the people of Canada. All of you are the kindest and most generous people I have been privileged to meet. Also, there were so many little things I noticed that all of you do that really impressed me. For instance, I saw people at the air show picking up trash that was blowing in the wind. Not their trash but just trash blown on the ground. That would never happen here in the U.S.

Were did that trash come from to begin with? Well I for one think that "we knuckle dragging Neanderthals south of the border", are just as inclined to pick up trash after an event, as well as those "north of the border". Have you ever seen how clean the aftermath of a conservative event is. IE., a Trump rally for example? I live in Vermont and WE Vermonters created/invented a little thing called "Green Up DAY" in the very early 70's. Litter is exceptionally rare here in VT. Must be the Canuks cross the border at night and pick up our trash too!

Wait a minute are you sure us new Yorkers aren't sneaking it across at night, lol

Burning Hazard

Canadian resident here from Alberta, we get lots of Texans coming here since it reminds them of home (Steaks, Ranching, and Oil) :)

I think what surprises me most about Canada is how much US militaria is present here, even in museums!

Pat

Hmmm...

I post something nice about our brothers and sisters in Canada and get bashed for saying how impressed I am with their love of their country. You nitpick over a trash comment. You are really making us Americans look good. (Rolls eyes while commenting).

Thanks for the nice comments from the Canadian members, Sundance and Manayunkman.

Kat

BILL THE PATCH

No your getting bashed for saying that would never happen in America. Not for saying how Canadians love their country. Like I said your painting with a broad brush, by insinuating that Americans don't clean up after themselves. I'm not sure where you live, but the people in my town are clean and have pride where they live.

Have to agree with Bill here Kat, you pretty much painted us all with the same brush. It was insulting, own it.

You want me to own it....ok...

I was speaking about cleaning up after a festival not someone's general pride in their home town. While there are definitely Americans who have pride in their towns and do their part to keep it clean, I have never seen the general public clean up after others at a festival. Perhaps using the word "never" was too strong but I have never seen the general public clean up after others at a festival. The air show in Canada had 25,000 people in attendance. I was at the airfield before, during and after the show. It was just as clean after as before. A Trump rally was mentioned as an example for American cleanliness. Just Google Orlando Trump rally to see how filthy Americans can be at a public event.

As I said, I was talking about festivals not cities/countries. However, while googling, look up cleanest countries. Europe has 14 of the top 20. Or look up cleanest cities. Just about every poll I found has Calgary, Canada ranked number one. I did see NY City ranked in the top 10 but as I said, I was talking about festivals.

If the only point someone can find in this post is to get insulted because they think I painted Americans with a "broad stroke" regarding trash then they are really looking for any excuse to get offended.

CNY Militaria

You want me to own it....ok...

I was speaking about cleaning up after a festival not someone's general pride in their home town. While there are definitely Americans who have pride in their towns and do their part to keep it clean, I have never seen the general public clean up after others at a festival. Perhaps using the word "never" was too strong but I have never seen the general public clean up after others at a festival.

Broad strokes indeed....I live in the US and the vast majority of festivals and/or events I have been to (I go to a lot throughout the Northeast) have had volunteers or attendees cleaning up during or once finished, and even assisting paid cleaning personnel because it was the right thing to do.

Let's face it, whether you intended to do so or not, you insinuated on a US BASED forum, with mostly US MEMBERS that the US isn't as clean as other countries, nor does the general public take such an interest in cleaning up.

Be realistic, what did you think would happen?

Kat, by all means you have the right to justify your statement. Or, you could have just said: "It was not my intent to insult Americans, I apologize."

Kat, by all means you have the right to justify your statement. Or, you could have just said: "It was not my intent to insult Americans, I apologize."

The difference is that I do not see this post as an insult to Americans. I see it as a handshake to Canadians. Can we not compliment other countries without appearing to slam our own? Why are Americans so easily offended?

We will have to just agree to disagree.

Did you see the C-47, Lancaster or any other planes fly over? I really liked the Snowbirds. It was a great show.

Have you ever been to the CWHM?

Yes, I have seen the C-47 flying lately, but not the Lancaster. The Snowbirds passed over my office just the other day.

I have been to the CWHM most recently a few years ago.

I can count on my hand how many pieces of trash I saw on a Marine Corps base not in the process of being picked up by a passing Marine...now there's a clean place. Heck, step over a cigarette butt on base and you'll have 3 people yelling at you for it