R.I.A. 1916 BELT POUCH -- USE?

INIMICUS

CANT FIND THIS INTERESTING POUCH LET ALONE THE BELT IN ANY OF MY REFERENCES OR ONLINE HAS R.I.A. 1916 MARK WITH INSPECTOR'S INITIALS (?), AND COPPER RIVETS INSIDE AND ON BOTTOM THERE'S AN OLD PENCIL IN ONE OF THE CELLS, SO: MEDICAL SIGNAL SURVEYORS ENGINEER TRANSPORT CORPS, OR...?

ALSO INTERESTING THE UNIT, INKSTAMP APPARENTLY WENT ON B E F O R E THE POUCH WAS CONSTRUCTED , NOT AFTER AS FOR THE BELT, ANOTHER MYSTERY. ONLY MARK I FOUND IS 'ENGLAND' ON THE BUCKLE - LOOKS MODERN, HMMM LINESMANS' BELT MAYBE?

IS THIS A ONE-OFF OR R.I.A. PRACTICE PIECE? OTW DOES IT HAVE A SPECIFICATION OR NOMENCLATURE LIKE THE 'SMALL ITEMS' POUCH?
THANKS, GUYS. HAPPY SAFE LABOR DAY! TL. 4 PICS COMING....

post-496-0-76907500-1567353446.jpg

post-496-0-61889100-1567353456.jpg

Unteroffizer Klaus

I believe that this pouch was a modded original of some sort, and I've seen one similar before that was used by the Surveyors. They probably had a notepad and pencil(s)/pen(s) in there for jotting down the locations of things, etc. As I am certainly no expert in this field, I would hope that a few others could contribute. I will see if I can try to find a picture, and if so, post it later.

Update: I did a bit of research on this, and I found an exact same to the pouch, except it didn't have a logo. It is a khaki garrison ammo pouch that would go on a belt. It was issued to troops who were doing guard duty around a/the base, and allowed for ammo to be carried for the M-1903 Springfield.

Thanks for reading! Have a nice day!
-Liam

The pouch in question is larger than the single garrison belt ammunition pouch you described. I agree it's some kind of pouch constructed or modified from some other piece of equipment.

It's an NCO Dispatch Case. It should have a double hook on the back. I don't believe it was modified other than having the hook removed. The belt has nothing to do with the pouch and as suggested, is probably a tool or lineman's belt.

The NCO Dispatch Case was originally a leather case as shown in the in 1910 Infantry Board Report. At some point they changed to fabric. I'll have to check through the annual reports and see what comes up.

• 3 weeks later...

I found it in the 1917 Annual Report of Manufactures. (July 1, 1916 to June 30, 1917) "Pouches, Web, Olive Drab, for carrying Field Message, NoteBook, Pencil, ect. with Pencil Point Protector." Listed as costing the US Arsenal at Rock Island .69 cents each.

world war I nerd

Jon, aka Jprstak, pointed out to me that the 26th Infantry sergeant in the center of this photo taken in June of 1917 is wearing the Field Message Notebook Pouch on his cartridge belt. Until Jon told me, I thought that was the bottom of one of the fabric 1910 Dispatch Cases.

post-5143-0-24538000-1569585522_thumb.jpg