Unknown Scope...

Has had this Scope for quite some years.
And I really don't know anything about where it was used, or on what equipment...

As my son, and i, have used several hours, on the net, only finding one picture. We really hope someone in here can shed some light! ;)

It has a build in grey, red and yellow filter, and a crosshair that can be lit up.
No stamps can be seen, as they are painted over.

Best regards

post-248228-0-00552000-1567335027_thumb.jpg

post-248228-0-40176800-1567335183_thumb.jpg

Thank You Sir!

Unfortunately, after about a hour of surfing "US mortar sight" and "US artillery sight", the closest i have seen is a m17 "elbow" scope.

Really gettin intrigued by how difficult it is to get any info on it...

• 1 month later...

What you have isnt't that glorious. It is a sight for a range finder radar set, I believe a sound type. I forget its desigantion but its a huge box with an operator on each side and two scopes, the box rotates with the operators where they can sight the object and calculate altitude and distance. If I recall correctly, it assists anti-aircraft batteries.

Something very similar to these, somewhere there is a great image of marines using one in a fox hole. These are the British version, but I think these give you an idea what its used for. The M17 optic is very common becuase it has no other application and I don't very many people have the range finder it belongs to. Most people I think buy them because they thinks its an artillery piece, for some reason the market is flooded with them.

post-56-0-44877400-1570200476_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-08781600-1570200491_thumb.jpg

What you have isnt't that glorious. It is a sight for a range finder radar set, I believe a sound type. I forget its desigantion but its a huge box with an operator on each side and two scopes, the box rotates with the operators where they can sight the object and calculate altitude and distance. If I recall correctly, it assists anti-aircraft batteries.

Range finder yes, radar set no.....

Battery C 41st CA at the Waimanalo Range, 1935

41st CA Waimanalo 1935 60b Battery C Target Range Sign 001.jpg

41st CA Waimanalo 1935 40b Battery C Target Practice 001.jpg

41st CA Waimanalo 1935 43b Battery C Target Practice 001.jpg

Very interesting for sure! And i wouldn't mind if my scope was a rangefinder scope at all!
As a Ham buff, everything electronic or mechanic is fascinating... ;)

As it's the M17 that can be seen, on above photos, i'd still really like to find out, exactly what my scope was used for.
And there i believe you has brought me a great leap further... Thanks a lot for now!

Here is another possibility. Unfortunately the photo is too grainy to see the elbow scope mounting plate. A search for a Technical Manual for stereoscopic range and height finders could help. Tom

post-200450-0-60760500-1570824375_thumb.jpg

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

• 7 months later...

T Ambrosini. I think You just made the score! So a spotter-scope for a (Brit?) rangefinder.
Sorry for the very late answer, by the way. Had a bit to look after, since my last post! One accident seldom comes alone... :D

But again, many thanks for all the help and suggestions! - It is much appreciated!

Glad to help, I hope you are on the right track in identifying the scope.  The photo I had posted was taken at the Presidio of San Francisco early in WW2.  The soldiers are coast artillerymen.

Tom

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

This is the one that looks very similar, if not identical, to the one i have...
Is that the one Mr. Ambrosini?
If so, i have to take contact to a Brittish collector. Has been talking to several Danish collectors. But no knowledge. - Even thou it's found in Denmark...
Thanks to You Sir, I'm slowly gettin' closer... :)

It is not British.  It is a M7 Telescope that was mounted on a 13-1/2 foot height finder.  Your telescope body part number is C 69958.  Unfortunately, your scope is missing several parts.  Download a copy of TM 9-1623 Ordnance Maintenance - Height Finders, 13 1/2 foot, M1 and M1A1.  You will see an exploded view of your scope on page 310 and 320.

The image below is from a different TM but shows you what the height finder looks like (it is the same thing as shown in the photo taken at the Presidio of San Francisco that I had posted a while back).

90mm.jpg

Yeah. It miss the "AA eyeshild assy", as well as the A178246 Plate. (nameplate)
For the rest, the Elevation tracking scope is complete. Should i try to find the complete M1(A1)unit, i think my wife would kill me... ;)