Marvin Brenner

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

I really hate to have to post this but I was just notified that Marvin Brenner passed away this evening of a heart attack, on his way to the ASMIC show in Portland.

I have known Marv since I was about twelve or thirteen and have always considered him a friend. He would always start right away asking about the Mrs. and the kids, before he ever started talking "shop". He could drive you insane once he got going but I don't believe there was a mean bone in him.....

ASMIC and the collecting community has lost a very important person to the hobby and he will be greatly missed.

RIP my friend..........

This is really sad news, I first met Marvin at the Great Western back in the early '80s. When Bill Cain and I traveled to Texas for business we always made it point to see him, a true gentleman. Peace be with you Marvin, you'll be missed.

Gregg

Sad news. Marvin was a stalwart of the insignia world. A true character who I've known for many moons. I last visited with him at Chickasha Ok. He will be missed. Sincere condolences to his family. Bob

Sorry to hear about our Area ASMIC Vice President passing..

He was a legacy in the field of militaria collecting and was always trying to get to as many shows, no matter how large or small the venue, he tried to cover his represented area the best ways possible.. He even came down to El Paso, Texas a few times to visit our small ASMIC meet....

He was always interested in knowing what others were doing in their areas to promote ASMIC and he would send his area members updates on what was happening in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkanasa and Louisiana..

I met him a few times at the ASMIC conventions in Denver, Co years ago.... A wonderful and knowledgeable gentleman..

Please pass my condolences to his family..

Leigh

Marv was a fixture at shows from Texas to the midwest. You could always spot his table by the two large wood frame spinners full of every kind of patch imaginable. As Bob said, a hard bargainer, but still always worth a stop at his tables.

Shows will not be the same without him. Rest in peace Marv... the show is over; time to go home.

vintageproductions

Marv was a fixture at shows from Texas to the midwest. You could always spot his table by the two large wood frame spinners full of every kind of patch imaginable. As Bob said, a hard bargainer, but still always worth a stop at his tables.

Shows will not be the same without him. Rest in peace Marv... the show is over; time to go home.

That's funny you mention the spinners.

Marvin gave me his a couple of years ago and we still use them at shows today......

Sad to hear. I met Marvin 30+ years ago when I was stationed in Austin. Over the years, we crossed paths regularly at shows. He'll be missed.

Damn. RIP Marvin, my fellow Texan. I met him at about three shows and he was always nice to me and my wife and yes, he was a talker!

Prayers and condolences to his friends and family.

God bless you Marv! Rest in peace my friend.

One of my favorite Marv stories was from a San Diego ASMIC convention (same one as the infamous Vista-Cruiser story). John Conway and I flew out to the convention together and ran into Marv and his lovely wife Susan. We all decided to go to a Japanese steak house, Benihana for dinner. Marv was being somewhat cranky as we were waiting for what seemed like a long time to be seated. Susan called him on it and announced that, as payment for his sins, Marv was picking up the dinner tab! For those of you who didn't know Marv personally, you should know that Marv was relatively "frugal" and rarely did he spend lavishly. John and I had great fun at dinner ordering the most expensive entrees on the menu and ordering copius amounts of beer and saki. We even bought rounds for the chef. Every time we ordered something else, you could see that it was painful to Marv which made it even more fun as he tortured himself over the cost of the meal. When it was time to settle up the tab, John and I sat quietly as the waiter handed the check to Marv. Watching Marv's eyes "bug out" was so funny to us. Of course, we couldn't really make Marv pay for dinner, so just before he went to pay, we handed Marv cash for our portions. Susan insisted that it was Marv's treat, but we replied that getting to watch Marv squirm over the check was fun enough for us.

In years since, I would always ask Marv if he was up for a trip to Benihana for steaks. He would always get a funny look on his face, and then a quick "not tonight" response. Marv will be missed.

Allan

This was posted on Face Book:

"Marvin Joseph Brenner
was the adopted son of Herman and Ida Shapiro Brenner.
He was born July 11, 1943 and grew up in San Antonio, TX. He attended Texas Military Institute and the University of Texas at Austin.

Marvin became an avid reader at an early age. He developed a love of history, especially military history. The Civil War was a subject he never tired reading about. After many years of being a bill collector and his hobby of collecting militaria artifacts, he became a militaria dealer. He hit the road and traveled to almost all states selling patches, medals and other military related items. His gift of gab and schmoozing helped him make friends along the way, many whom seem like family now.

As the internet developed and E bay was established, Marvin traveled less, but still enjoyed taking trips and seeing historical sites. He was a proud Texan and member of the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors, in which he served as Area 4 Vice President for many years.

On August 30, 2019, on his way to an ASMIC convention Marvin passed away in Lamar, CO. He leaves behind his wife, Susan, Kate Uher, his step-daughter, Vincent and Emma his grandchildren a few cousins and many friends.

Marvin enjoyed his life, his work was rewarding and he reveled in being considered an expert in all things military. He most especially cherished the relationships he developed during his life time. For those special few, you are in our hearts always."

I'll add to this... One of his hobbies when I knew him was researching Confederate generals and colonels, and then visiting their graves.

This photo just sums up Marvin... I am sure he'd like to be remembered this way.

Marvin Brenner.jpg