Need help on ID of this 310th Engineer Officer

mortarman

I have had this photo for several years and have never been able to ID him. Using the Custermen.com website I was able to trace him to B Company, 310th Engineers. He is clearly shown in the company photo in the front center. He is the only officer wearing a Sam Browne belt and may have been the Company Commander, even thought he is a Lieutenant. I'm not sure, but there may have been a "yearbook" for the 85th Division for when they were at Camp Shelby. I will appreciate any information you can provide.

https://www.custermen.com/AtTheFront/GroupPhotos/Engineers/Engineer310CoB.htm

https://www.custermen.com/AtTheFront/GroupPhotos/Engineers/Engr310B-3.jpg

He is in the front row, 2nd from left in this closeup.

post-96874-0-29364900-1567303031_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 8/31/2019 at 8:57 PM, mortarman said:

I have had this photo for several years and have never been able to ID him. Using the Custermen.com website I was able to trace him to B Company, 310th Engineers. He is clearly shown in the company photo in the front center.

Hi,

I'm the owner of custermen.com.  I'm glad this has helped you in your research.   In this photo, he appears to be wearing the rank of a Warrant Officer but I really can't see it.  

I have another webpage for the 310th Combat Engineer Battalion that is a transcript of a brief history of the battalion.  It is what I call "sanitized"---there are no names mentioned and certainly no casualty reports.  If you are trying to identify the officer in the Sam Browne belt, then I would expect that to be the commander of the 310th Engineer Battalion.  This photo was taken late in 1943 just weeks before they shipped out.   Your photo does show an officer wearing the DUI pin for the 310 Engineer Battalion plus the collar branch insignia.

Here is an excerpt from the History of the 310th Engineer Battalion--- Link:  https://custermen.com/Engineer310.html

On 26 December {1944} the 310 Engineers reverted to control of 85th Division and moved to the vicinity of LUCCA.  CT{Combat Teams?} platoons of Companies A, B, & C were attached to their respective CT's. At this time Lt. Col. JOHN D. COLE, Jr., who had commanded the battalion since shortly after its activation became commanding officer of the 19th Engineer Regiment. And the 310th's new Commanding Officer was Major HUGH K. BURCH, formerly Executive Officer.

I would expect that you would find his name mentioned in Schultz's "The 85th Infantry Division in World War II" but it will take some browsing as it has not index.  I may have other items such as newspapers they printed or Christmas Dinner menu and such that might mention his name---but it wouldn't help matching the photo.  I can post a question on the 85th Division FB Group to see if someone has a phot of the commander.  However, I do believe that officer in the Sam Browne belt is the Commander of the 310th Combat Engineers.  

I hope this isn't too late.  I wish you had tried my contact address on my website.  

Custermen

On 12/27/2022 at 5:07 PM, Custermen said:

However, I do believe that officer in the Sam Browne belt is the Commander of the 310th Combat Engineers.  

I jumped to conclusion.  I retract my statement.  

Here are photo of the real Colonel John D. Cole, Jr

USMA Class of 1935  --- He was called "Duffy"---his middle name.  

870102261_PhotoJohnDCole--USMA.JPG.fd40213fbc53b2c07cd4243e280d7e6d.JPG

Here is a photo of General John D. Cole upon retirement.  

1543082328_PhotoJohnDCole--BGen.JPG.2d4e48b02ea2503b1d375dfa4832ad03.JPG

I do NOT see any resemblance with these photos of John D. Cole, Jr. and the Color Photo you posted nor the photo of Company B, 310th Engineer Battalion.

However, I do still believe the officer in the Sam Browne belt in the Company "B" photo is a match for your color photo.  Now we need to identify who that officer is in that yard-long photo taken in 1943.  

I need to find a roster of officers of the 310th Engineer Battalion.  During this Christmas season, I have seen several FB post of Christmas Dinner Menus while the men were still at Camp Shelby.  Sometimes they list the officers.  One menu I saw was for the HQ COmpany of the 85th Division so it did recognize the primary officers of the HQ Company.  

I am also trying to find newsletters from reunions.  Company "B" of the 310th Engineer Battalion would have joined with the reunion of the 338th Infantry Regiment.  (Company A joined with the 337 Regt and Company C joined with the 339 'Polar Bear' Regiment).   Let's hope I can find a newsletter with legible photos dating back to early days of 1943 or 1944.  You might try to contact the Army Forces Museum at Camp Shelby and ask if they have any info in their records.  The Polar Bear Association donated all their veteran association records to that museum.