Solid O.D. M1 Helmet Cover with Identifying Mark

thatrandomguy

thatrandomguy

I was browsing through Ebay and I saw this helmet up for sale. I immediately purchased it and while I probably overpayed for it I have no regrets. The helmet came with an OD Helmet cover with a manufacterer's mark, the first I've ever seen one in my short time as a collector.

Here's a photo:

post-241844-0-21628800-1567202918_thumb.jpg

When I get the helmet in the mail I'll add more pictures

Whats the date?

I believe its 1/11/57(or 58)

There has been topics with the same stamp here on the forum. I will try to find them. I believe other examples shown have more crisp stamps.

milsurp_scout_14

Whoa. I've seen several OD covers, but first I've seen with the stamp. Interesting that this one appears to have been made by a USMC depot. I never thought they had a particular connection to the Marines.

What does the hardware on the helmet look like? Looks like OD painted chinstraps perhaps, Korean War era helmet? Any ideas of the cover looks original to the helmet?

Hunt

thatrandomguy

What does the hardware on the helmet look like? Looks like OD painted chinstraps perhaps, Korean War era helmet? Any ideas of the cover looks original to the helmet?

Hunt

Im getting the helmet on Tuesday but by the looks of the pictures I have, the chinstraps are Vietnam era with black painted hardware. The helmet I think is Vietnam as well, specifically a Dana Point/Parrish helmet. Ill add more pictures on Tuesday. Edit: Cover might be original, it doesnt look like its been moved.

thatrandomguy

Whoa. I've seen several OD covers, but first I've seen with the stamp. Interesting that this one appears to have been made by a USMC depot. I never thought they had a particular connection to the Marines.

Yep! Caught me by surprise too. Fortunately thought theres more out there and have been documented.

• 2 weeks later...
milsurp_scout_14

So, maybe I'm understanding wrong, but on the above posted covers, the 'DTD' represents the date of manufacture (or maybe contract)...but on the OP's new stamped cover above...the DTD is 1-11-45? It can't be 1945, because the FSN wasn't in use, nor were OD helmet covers. I thought maybe it was a -65, but if you compare it to the other '4' in the FSN...it certainly looks like a 4.

DTD is contract I belive, never see it change

I don't follow?

Does anyone know what the PRO J number signifies? It's in the 3000's on this stamp, notice the leaf pattern tag cover is in the 5000's, would that make the OD cover earlier?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I don't follow?

Does anyone know what the PRO J number signifies? It's in the 3000's on this stamp, notice the leaf pattern tag cover is in the 5000's, would that make the OD cover earlier?

Well I think DTD is the date the contract was assigned because I see a whole bunch of them with the same date, and never see ones that are just a few days or a month ahead like I would expect for a mfg date.

Well I think DTD is the date the contract was assigned because I see a whole bunch of them with the same date, and never see ones that are just a few days or a month ahead like I would expect for a mfg date.

I understand now thank you!

OP, how does the band that came with the set look? It looks like inner tube?

Also what's the heat number in the shell?

I understand now thank you!

OP, how does the band that came with the set look? It looks like inner tube?

Also what's the heat number in the shell?

The steel shell is a mint Vietnam-era Dana Point shell the helmet band is an elastic band. Im not really sure where it came from but I dont think its standard issue.