Picked Up A WWII USMC Helmet

M422A1

I went to a local gun show last month and, as usual, I was looking for WWII USMC uniforms and field gear. I spotted this helmet from across the room sitting on a book shelf. I made my way over to it and found an overpriced but nice & salty USMC helmet. It is a FS, SB and appears to have been together for a long time. It has had a hard life, that's for sure!

I kept and eye on it all day Saturday and went back Sunday and it was still there. Just before closing on Sunday I made an offer and it was accepted.

Here are some pictures:

post-165768-0-40040700-1567200935.jpg

post-165768-0-13223200-1567200958.jpg

I have not taken the cover off of the helmet yet. I am wondering if the damage/fading/wear/dirt, etc. occurred during the war or from poor storage after it was brought home. The guy I bought it from said the guy he got it from said it belonged to his grandfather. He said his grandfather died and he found it when they were cleaning out his house.

Let me know what you think...

Well I love the look of it! Since you posted it a few weeks ago on here.

It still went through something thats for sure.

For my part I hope that the story is real in the meaning that the helmet went through something and was not badly stored etc.

I would definitively leave the cover as it is unless its easy to remove and not stuck to the shell.

The cover is so smoothly attached to the shell!

Probably late WW2 or Korea?

Thanks for sharing.

Blueprint

the professor

don't remove the cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. Best not to remove the cover. They never look quite the same after the cover has been removed.

TP

i have seen footlockers with original gear not been touch since the end of ww2, it is amazing, similar to King Tuts Tomb when i had open these, i have seen similar damage to your helmet in the few footlockers i have come across in basements of tag sales that were never opened since ww2. do not mess with it, leave it be

semper fi