"Salvaged from the USS Arizona" - Incredible Piece of History

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having this item in hand is having a stone of the great history wall

- Lester H Scheaffer (Fleetwood - PA) - 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division - KIA September 12th 1944 attacking the Brest Naval range butt

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at St James cemetery. RIP

(My left avatar portrait)

- Jay E Hansford (Baxter Springs - KS ) - 146th Engineer Combat Battalion SETF - KIA June 6th 1944 landing on Dog White Omaha Beach

I’m proudly in charge of his grave at Colleville sur mer cemetery. RIP

(My right avatar portrait)

- See their story, and other ones here : http://mylifeinthewar.over-blog.com/

-- Interested in pictures (and others items) concerning the French Navy ships that went under repair in US Navy yards in 1943. In Boston (Le Terrible, le Fantasque, le Malin), in NYC (Richelieu) and in Philadelphia (Le Georges Leygues, Le Gloire, Le Montcalm)

Just to add to this theme regarding the Pearl Harbor attack and in particular the USS Arizonia - I have mentioned several times on this forum that I live in a small town in Maine that sacrificed an incredible loss of life during the Second World War ( and also during the Civil War and World War I ) ! With 33 deaths during WW II, my home town must have been in perpetual mourning and gave at least one of its sons in nearly every major battle of the conflict. On that infamous Sunday morning in December, a Skowhegan, Maine sailor was on board the USS Arizonia and was serving as the Navigational Officer. LtCmdr John E. French, a 1922 graduate of the Naval Academy in Anapolis (the famous Adm Hyman Rickover was in that graduating class) was killed when an exposion catapulted his body into the water. Later that week French's body was fished from the harbor and now his remains are buried at Arlington, not too far from Audie's Murphy's grave site. The naval officer's family including his wife and son were living in California at the time of his death so his name is credited to that state, but French was born here in Maine and became the second KIA of the 33 mentioned from this town. Our first casualty occurred 19 Nov 41 ( more than two weeks before Pearl ) when a Skowhegan boy lost his life during joint military maneuvers near Peachland, NC when a head injury caused by this soldier's rifle took his life. Skowhegan's sacrifice came very early in World War II. John Edmund French had served in the US Navy during WW I and received the Victory Medal with the rare Asiatic bar. In memory of this Maine hero, I always asked people whom I knew were going to visit Pearl Harbor, Hawaii to look for French's name on the roster of men killed on the Arizona that December morning.

Kurt:

A very poignant story to say the least -- history like this must be preserved and shared for future generations of Americans who will be too far removed from the war to make it a personal experience. Tisdale's story and the artifacts make his story and his life very real. Thank you for sharing.

Best regards,

Ed

Rock, Frank, Sgt., Serial No. 409966.

Kurt,

Thank you for sharing this historical and outstanding group of artifacts!

WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE - AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE, NORTON-HARJES AMBULANCE CORPS, AMERICAN RED CROSS IN ITALY, CZECH AND POLISH LEGIONS AND ANY ARTIFACTS ASSOCIATED WITH AMERICANS THAT SERVED IN FOREIGN ARMIES IN WORLD WAR ONE

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

ecSXx.jpg

"Je meurs content, puisque nous sommes victorieux! Vive la France!

• 1 year later...

BTT in rememberance of Pearl Harbor

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for sharing this. A truly priceless group. Let us never forget Roosevelt's assurance that the "American people will through their righteous might win through to absolute victory... With confidence in our armed forces-with the unbounded determination of our people-we will gain the inevitable triumph-so help us God."

• 11 months later...

BTT for the 70th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 11 months later...

Back to the top in commemoration of the 71st anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

!!!! WANTED !!!!

• 2 years later...

BTT in remembrance of the Pear Harbor attack.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

• 3 months later...

Incredible Kurt, this is by far one of the top groups you have ever posted. Exquisite, RIP, RPH!

***Items from unit called 8th Field Depot***

[Most frequently-sought unit because of family connection]

Intact ["out of the woodwork"] Marine Corps combat groups from WWII.

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Marine Corps valor recipient items.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

• 8 months later...

Back to the top in commemoration of the 74th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack.

!!!! WANTED !!!!

• 1 year later...

Back up to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack.

!!!! WANTED !!!!

Thanks, I missed this the last time(s) around.

Wow. What a poignant witness to history.

Mr.JERRY
Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons,US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms,Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

• 1 year later...

Again - WOW! An awesome piece of history! Bob

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Nice grouping!

Collecting interest:

First Airborne Task Force (509th PIB, 551st PIB, 517th PIR, 463rd PFAB, 460th PFAB and 596th PEC

505th PIR and 504th PIR in mto and eto

Want to buy:

-any item related to the FABTF

-unreinforced m42 original trouser

• 11 months later...

The 77th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack is around the corner. Remember Pearl Harbor.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

• 1 year later...

Back up in remembrance of the 78th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

!!!! WANTED !!!!