"Salvaged from the USS Arizona" - Incredible Piece of History

KASTAUFFER

Once in a while you hold an item in your hand that just " speaks " to you and this is one of those things for me. I acquired it a number of years ago and it always amazed me that it survived the destruction of the USS Arizona.

This is the Continuous Service Certificate that represents the naval service of Chief Water Tender William Tisdale. He enlisted in the US Navy in 1920 and was very close to having his retirement paperwork processed in 1941 when the attack on Pearl Harbor occurred.

A number of these CSC books are known to have survived as they had been stored in a safe on board the ship. When the USS Arizona was salvaged after the attack, the safe was recovered and the CSC books were sent to the NOK or to the sailor himself if he survived. When I was at the NPRC earleir this year, I was researching a different USS Arizona casualty and saw the other sailors salvaged CSC book in his service record file ! The book had been sent to the man's wife, but she had moved so the book was returned by the Post Office back to the Navy and placed in his service record.

CWT Tisdale did not survive and is interred in the ship.

A CSC book was given to any sailor who applied for a CSC # after his first enlistment and subsequent re-enlistment. It was similar to a " service record" , but was the personal property of the sailor. You often see a sailors CSC # engraved on his Good Conduct medal.

Here is an example of a CSC book that is " not damaged ".

CSC.JPG

Here is what a CSC book looks like after it is damged during an attack and immersed in water .

CSC1.JPG

The cover was removed from the CSC book before it was sent to CWT Tisdales wife. The green ink from the cover bled into the paper.

The following are excerpts from some of the pages in the book. It shows all of the duty stations and evaluation ratings he received from 1920 to 1941.

CSC2.JPG

He was commended by Admiral Kidd in 1939.

CSC3.JPG

The last page in his book. Notice CWT Tisdale applied for Fleet Reserve after 20 years of service. He would have been discharged and retired soon after, but the war had other plans.

CSC8.JPG

CSC9.JPG

Raidercollector

Kurt

This is just Awesome to have a CSC book from the Arizona.And his PH. Now that's History.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I think Tom Lane has one too.

Nick

To be clear, the CSC Certificate is at the NPRC and not part of your collection. Am I correct?

The one I saw at the NPRC is still at the NPRC. It was another sailors CSC book as per my post. I wanted to illustrate that there are more of these that survived.

The one I am showing here is part of my collection and was never at the NPRC or part of Tisdale's service record. The transmittal letter illustrates that.

When I was at the NPRC I also requested Tisdales file because I wanted to make a copy of the file photo. In the service record jackets there is normally a small negative and they have a machine at the NPRC you can use to blow it up and make a copy.

The negative in Tisdale's file was gone! A letter was in his file from 1944 transmitting the photo to his wife. They said " you may want this ". I may never know what he looked like.

I will scan the page.

Kurt

Kurt - This is an absolutely amazing relic. Not only to have this man's USS Arizona Purple Heart but his salvaged CSC Book as well is nothing less than miraculous!

WOW! WOW! WOW! twothumbup.giftwothumbup.giftwothumbup.gif

Bob

Here is a copy of the letter transmitting the negative to his wife in 1944. I copied this letter from CWT Tisdale's service record at the NPRC.

CSC_c.jpg

Thanks for all the comments guys! Here are a couple more pieces of original paperwork I acquired with the medal.

I especially love the hand colored photo of the ship taken at Panama.

CSC_d.jpg

CSC_e.jpg

Kurt,

My brother, Dave, asked me to post this for you.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/r...1-08/0998666247

I think you will find this interesting.

Patch Johnson

Steve Johnson

I sent her an email offering to share the information I have . I told her I would make a copy of everything I have if she wants it.

Kurt

78th Collector

Outstanding grouping. Thanks for sharing. It is one of the great things about this forum that so many members are willing to share these historical treasures.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt,

Of all the great USN history you have shared with us here and on the WAF, I think this group is one of the most interesting. It is so historic, it is almost spooky, wow I don't know what else to say but thanks for sharing.

Kurt

I have been in touch with CWT Tisdale's Grand-Daughter and have shared information with her concerning him. She also sent me copies of some photos she had.

Here are photos of Bill :

Grandfather_bill2.jpg

bill1.jpg