deddygetty

Help identifying DI

2nd Tank Bn

ASMIC Z2D1

No hallmark (Aresta) made in Taiwan

Much appreciated, Tankpatches. This confirms what my friend was told.

As I understand, 2nd Tank Battalion was part of the newly formed 9th Armored Division and was formed from 2nd Battalion, 2nd Armored Regiment on 9 October 1943. 2nd Armored Regiment had been formed on 15 July 1942 with the men of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment who had recently turned in their horses.

DRAGOON FOR LIFE!

So, as one of those Aresta creations, a fantasy piece never actually made for or worn by the unit? As I understand it, Aresta had these made for collectors.

So, as one of those Aresta creations, a fantasy piece never actually made for or worn by the unit? As I understand it, Aresta had these made for collectors.

ATB,

You are 100% correct. He had loads of DUIs made and some were of notional insignia designs and some were pure figments of his imagination. Many of the designs came from the Institute of Heraldry, where he would expand off of the proposed DUI write ups. None of these insignia were ever worn by the units that they represented.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

ATB,

You are 100% correct. He had loads of DUIs made and some were of notional insignia designs and some were pure figments of his imagination. Many of the designs came from the Institute of Heraldry, where he would expand off of the proposed DUI write ups. None of these insignia were ever worn by the units that they represented.

Allan

That is disheartening. So the guys of the 2nd Tank Battalion never saw these?

Like the guys of the 99th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop never saw this DI.post-63795-0-51322200-1567222132.jpg

DRAGOON FOR LIFE!

Aresta and Koepnick both made DIs in the 70s, 80s, and 90s for mulitple reasons (all having to do with making $). Koepnick used "STARCREST" for a HM. Aresta used ARESTA OF HAWAII or CWA - Hawaii - all are marked "Made in Taiwan". Since Taiwan was called Formosa prior to and shortly after WW II, that would be a major clue something just ain't right. They are always CB.

One reason claimed these were made for veteran's organizations - so few, if any, actually saw these. All were made from "official drawings", signs, or someone's hallucinations. None were ever approved nor had samples made (by OQMG or TIOH)

They are called fantasy pieces because they were never made when the units existed so they were never worn by the units while they existed.

Most DI collectors ignore them, refuse to touch them, and understand the reasons behind their manufacture.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Member, ASMIC.

Editor, ASMIC's The Trading Post

ASMIC Executive VP

I found ten of these at a little surplus store near my house about fifteen years ago while scanning for DI's to put in a shadowbox honoring my dad. I couldn't believe my eyes! Exactly as described in dad's unit history from WW II, "FOREVER FORWARD - HISTORY OF: 99TH RECONNAISSANCE TROOP"...

...all were essential for success - a success that can be symbolized by a badge, authorized by the War Department to be worn by members of the troop. This badge was on a blue oval, a gold caltrop imbrued proper above a blue scroll with the motto: “Forever Forward” in gold lettering. The blue in the field stands now for gallant work on those doughboy patrols into the Siegfried Line. It stands too for Recon’s stand in its dug-in positions at Kalterherberg. It stands for all this and also the doughboys who rode to battle on Recon’s vehicles, where once it only stood for the troop’s origin as Hq. and Hq. Co., 197th and 198th Infantry Brigade.
The gold stands for those spearheads, and Task Forces and reports that the 99th Reconnaissance Troop contributed to the annals of the First and Third Army instead of just meaning branch cavalry. It’s motto: “Ever Forward” finally takes it’s meaning in all the troop’s own men who have never been known to turn back or falter in courage and at any price or sacrifice have gone and will go “Ever Forward”.

I bought all ten and sent some to surviving members of the troop I had located. None of them had a clue the unit had been authorized a DI. I took the rest and gave them out at a 99th Recon reunion in 2003 to the last five troopers that were still attending. All knew my dad well. Same story, not a clue about a DI.

Little did I know the DI had been authorized too late for the WW II guys to get it before they were sent home and the unit inactivated. The DI later came into use during Vietnam when 99th Recon was reborn in the form of HQ, 197th Infantry Brigade.

I've bought dozens over the years and given them to old 99th Recon troopers and 99th ID collectors. They enjoy the novelty.

post-63795-0-16450500-1567265164.jpg

DRAGOON FOR LIFE!