WWII GROUPING AND ARCHIVE OF US WAR CORRESPONDENT WILLIAM STRAND

Marauder

Recently I obtained for our collections a incredibly complete grouping of WWII Chicago Tribune War Correspondent, William Strand . It included not only multible insignia sets but also his archive , which consisted of every article he wrote during this period ,all his personal and business correspondence, and numerous other period artifacts . I most say even though we collect combat related items of Allied and Axis from both World Wars , this is one of the most complete insitu " groupings" I have ever encountered . It will take me months just to go through the paper work . William Strand , reported from North Africa, the Italian Campaign , and later even the " battle of the Bulge" . He was wounded at Anzio, and was given a Purple Heart . He was a friend of Ernie Pyle , and was there when he was killed by a German sniper .He stayed in theater for 15 months , before quiting because of fatigue , the paper not seeing fit to send a replacement ! Even his " PRESS " bag was in the lot !!. Many " Thank You's" to Sharon Griffin !! post-251832-0-52715700-1567117651_thumb.jpg

Outstanding insignia! What a great grouping. I'm not quite following on the Ernie Pyle reference. Pyle was killed on the Japanese island of Ie Shima, as he was pursuing his stories in the Pacific after the end of hostilities in Europe. He was visiting soldiers of the 77th "Statue of Liberty" Division when he passed.

Allan

post-251832-0-11060200-1567213255_thumb.jpg Sorry Guys , Yes Ernie Pyle was killed in the Pacific !! I made the mistake because in the grouping was several references to Ernie Pyle being killed including a pghot of a battlefield not saying where to find his body . Not thinking very deeply , I had assumed he was killed at Anzio ! Sorry about the studity .

The Purple Herat is not named , but came with several article clippings talking about it , and mentioning mr. Pyle as weel , who was present when the German Bomb or shell hit the place the " correspondents" where staying , here is one that was stuck in the Purple Heart box !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...