Named 507th PIR M3 blade dated Camillus

beerdragon54

beerdragon54

Picked this up recently so I let go of 2 of my M3’s on eBay. I haven’t researched him yet but hoping he jumped on D-day. Research came with knife. I’ve been fortunate to have picked up two great named M3s to airborne guys recently and plan on keeping them till the end.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Great looking M3 and even better with the provenience. As a member of the 17th Airborne Division Mr. Woncik would not have participated in the D-Day invasion. The 17th was still in the states when the invasion took place and in some camp in New York I believe. However, the 17th was heavily involved in the Battle of the Bulge and was the sole American airborne division to participate in Operation Varsity. Again, great catch.

CG

Kurt Barickman

The 507th did drop into Normandy with the 82nd as they were put into replace the 504th which were still licking their wounds from Italy,

Kurt

Kurt,

Thanks for the clarification. My bad! The 507th, originally an independent regiment attached to the 82nd for D-Day, was transferred to the 17th in August 1944.

Again, thanks.

CG

As a 17th Abn collector, I can write you have a wonderful M3 !

George Woncik doesn't jump on D-Day or during Varsity. I found him only during the battle of the Bulge. May be was he WIA ?

Regards,

Richard

Great named m3. Small world, I grew up in Watervliet, NY.

I don't recognize the name but I think I may have seen it on one of the memorial banners that are hung all over the city. I almost remember seeing a couple of brothers with

that name on banners hanging along the W'vliet arsenal.

Ken

beerdragon54

As a 17th Abn collector, I can write you have a wonderful M3 !

George Woncik doesn't jump on D-Day or during Varsity. I found him only during the battle of the Bulge. May be was he WIA ?

Regards,

Richard

Odd that he didn’t make either jump. Good to know thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know how odd it is. Might depend on what his duties were. Not everyone assigned to the Airborne were on jump status. Remember Major Winters friend in Band of Brothers, Nixon. He was the intelligence officer. Before the end of the War he scheduled himself for the necessary training jumps to qualify for his wings.