1/35 8th Weather Squadron Launching Pibal in Greenland 19441/35 diorama to honor my father, Msgt. William Gould of the 8th Weather Squadron, USAAF. He

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

AAF service personnel are not a subject usually portrayed in commercially available 1/35 figures. These little fellas were from the Bastogne set (the guy in the Mackinaw, who is holding a little clipboard I made instead of the M1 Garand that came with the figure), and the Wehrmacht Ski Troops, from which the little fur cap came as well as (with a bit of modification) the olive D2 cold weather parkas. Oh and you can't buy a 1/35 ML-474 Theodolite either -- I spent a couple of nights fabricating that.

This vignette is to honor my late father, MSgt. William Gould of the USAAF 8th Weather Squadron. He is seen here directing the launching of a weather balloon at Bluie West 1 Army Air Field in Narsasauq, Greenland. The pibal was used to track upper air windspeeds, which were vital in forecasting along the busy North Atlantic Air Routes. Just about every aircraft went through Bluie West 1 on its way to Europe.

post-12350-0-60131600-1566942485_thumb.jpeg

post-12350-0-97065800-1566942508_thumb.jpeg

post-12350-0-04322000-1566942552.jpeg (It's always fun to play with photoshop for the period effects.)

That is a very nice diorama and a very interesting and unusual subject matter. But a very important one nonetheless as skypilot, pointed out.

You did a fine job.

Semper Fi.

Manny

RustyCanteen

Great model diorama! You are a true modeler; anyone can build a kit but it takes skill and imagination/ingenuity to make a kit your own. You took two different kits and made them into something interesting and did a good job too.