Museum of Underwater Wrecks Normandy

_Will_

Hi guys,

Some photos of a nice and atypical museum. The curator is a former diver who brought up to the surface a lot of vestiges of the D-Day landings. If you plan to come to Normandy, this place really worth the visit ;)

16wd.jpg

kuxt.jpg

0nc3.jpg

f248.jpg

vmbm.jpg

ske3.jpg

l5nj.jpg

m0bk.jpg

All the best.

Will

BILL THE PATCH

Very interesting, I thought that was a protected area?Did all the tanks come from the water?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The former curator, Jacques Lemonchois, he dived during more than 35 years. In 1970 he was commissioned by the French government to secure the navigation along the coast of Normandy and to remove dangerous wrecks. Instead of destroying them he took care of their preservation and created this nice museum. Before bringing them up, his team verified that none of the wrecks contained remains of allied soldiers. When bones were found, everything was left on the bottom of the sea.

BILL THE PATCH

The former curator, Jacques Lemonchois, he dived during more than 35 years. In 1970 he was commissioned by the French government to secure the navigation along the coast of Normandy and to remove dangerous wrecks. Instead of destroying them he took care of their preservation and created this nice museum. Before bringing them up, his team verified that none of the wrecks contained remains of allied soldiers. When bones were found, everything was left on the bottom of the sea. 

Thanks for the clarification. Awesome

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Am I seeing things or did the Stuart take a shot on the right side turret? Looks like that could have been it's demise if that's what it is.

Am I seeing things or did the Stuart take a shot on the right side turret? Looks like that could have been it's demise if that's what it is.

What you're seeing are probably the remnants of the shield that housed the 30.cal mount.

post-169612-0-45063700-1566920088_thumb.jpg

Rene

I would say half a dozen. For me, the most impressive were the Duplex Drive Sherman. Inside of the museum you have a lot of equipment and personal items. I can't find the photo anymore...I'll have to take some during my next visit.

There's also a DD Sherman they recovered from the sea on public display in Courseulles-sur-Mer, near the entrance of the harbor.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be in Normandy this coming February and plan on shooting some short history travel videos. Definitely going to make this a stop.

• 2 weeks later...