San Juan Hill Combat Veteran 24th Infantry grouping

Clohesey

I was shocked and excited to find this small group at a local Antique Store recently. The group consists of a decent sized sterling silver presentation box (nearly 1lb), engraved to Major General Joseph Dugald Leitch. As well as a small framed portrait of Leitch as a Lieutenant or Possibly Captain. I am currently researching Leitch and have found a lot of information online so far. Research is ongoing, and I will post my report when I finish for those who may be interested.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Summary of information I’ve found to date.

Joined The West Point Academy June 15th 1884 Graduating June 12th 1889.

The joined the 24th Infantry as 2nd Lieutenant for frontier duty at Fort Bayard New Mexico on September 20th 1889.

Leitch served at several frontier posts including:

San Carlos, Arizona (Dec 1891 - May 1892)

Fort Huachuca, Arizona (May 1892 - Oct 1896)

(Prompted to 1st Lieutenant Dec 1896)

Fort Douglas, Utah (Oct 1896 - April 1898

Posted Image

At this point, the story gets very interesting. Leitch was Commanding the 24th Infantry, B Company (Buffalo Soldiers), and was actively involved in the Battle of San Juan Hill, Storming the trenches.

I’ve found a few details and references to Leitch In After Action reports from his commanding officer and other officers involved.

“I desire to especially mention Capt A.A.Auger and Lt. J.D. Leitch who came under my immediate observation, for coolness and bravery under such destructive fire” - Captain Henery Wygant, 24th Infantry.

Leitch was cited for “Gallantry in Action against Spanish forces at Santiago, Cuba.

There is a lot more information available I have yet to read. I am confident, I will be able to piece together the story of his actions on San Juan Hill in detail.

After his service in Cuba, Leitch returned to frontier duty in Utah and California.

(Promoted to Captain September 8th, 1899)

The Year 1900 rolls around and Leitch is off to the Philippines, Commanding G Company of the 25th Infantry(also Buffalo Soldiers). I’ve yet to find detail of his service in the Philippines. However he was Awarded the Silver Star for Gallantry in action during the Philippine Insurrection.

After his first tour in the Philippines, Leitch return to the states and had a variety of assignments. Making at least two returns to the Philippines. At one point Commanding a company of Filipino Scouts in 1909.

(Promoted to Lt. Colonel July 1st 1916)

(Promoted to Colonel July 18th 1917)

(Temp Promotion to Brigadier General Dec 17th 1917)

Posted Image

(Temp Promotion to Major General Oct 1st 1918)

Commanded 13th Infantry at Camp Lewis, Washington (Oct 1918 - April 1919)

(Returned to rank of Colonel, April 30, 1919

Leitch was in Siberia, Serving as Inspector General and Chief of Staff of the AEF in Siberia from May 25th 1919 - March 10th 1920.

Leitch was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal July 9th 1918

"For exceptionally meritorious and distinguished services. As chief of staff of the American Expeditionary Forces in Siberia he gave proof of his great breadth of vision, keen foresight, sound judgment, and tact. By his brilliant professional attainments, coupled with great diplomacy, he handled most ably the many delicate situations with which he was confronted. His fine soldierly qualities were at all times outstanding, and by his masterful grasp of the situation he was able to meet successfully each new and difficult problem with which he was faced. He rendered most conspicuous services of inestimable value to the Government in a place of great responsibility and at a time of gravest importance."

(Promoted to Brigadier General Jan 19, 1926)

Commanded posts at, (1926 -1928)

Fort McPherson, GA

Vancouver Barracks, WA

Fort Lewis, WA

Promoted to Major General November 6th 1927 and retired in March of 1928.

Awards:

Distinguished Service Medal

Citation for Gallantry in Action (San Juan Hill)

Silver Star (Philippine Insurrection)

Indian Campaign Medal

Spanish Campaign Medal (1898)

Philippine Insurrection Medal (1899)

Army of Cuban Occupation Medal

Mexican Campaign Medal

WWI Victory Medal with Siberia Clasp

Italian Cross of St. Maurice and Lazarus

Czechoslovakian Cross of War (Siberian Service)

Again, This is just a basic summary of what I’ve discovered thus far. I’m still accumulating information and will organize into something readable eventually.

I’m hoping to find more details of his combat service, as well as details of his Awards from the archives. If they didn’t burn.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILL THE PATCH

Really cool that you brought this soldier's story to light. Keep us posted

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That's a wonderful find, box, and portrait. Also, a great story so far about this soldier. Can't wait to see more about him. Congrats!