Hgu 33 vf-33

Kyle80s

Recently I aquired this lovely helmet, thought I would share this with you.

I have checked inside under visor cover and headliner all I found was FS initial on the foam side of the liner, I would really like to know who's the aviator that wore it.????

post-163622-0-22736300-1566860599_thumb.jpg

post-163622-0-10537500-1566860643_thumb.jpg

And yes the oxygen mask is not correct for this helmet but it's all I have at this time,,need a mbu 14 in green please anyone..?

post-163622-0-23989900-1566860883_thumb.jpg

post-163622-0-44723700-1566860954_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Im not 100% sure but Im thinking that a MBU 5 might have slipped into the mix of masks for the squadron

if properly set up for Navy comms. There is a good bit of documented Navy use of the 5p during Vietnam and probably beyond.

You need an AM3597C/A amp and the three prong U-75 plug/cord to carry the bulk of that mod.

MBU-5s were unusual, but do fit nicely in the history of Naval Aviation.

Several good photos online of what looks like standard MBU-12s with the amp inline too.

post-173754-0-37385200-1571491491_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind comments..I have finally found an mbu 14 and awaiting it's arrival by post..I have seen pics of us naval aviator's use both mbu 5 and mbu 14 masks, because I have seen a vf-33 pilot with the yellow helmet and an mbu 14 I had to go for the mbu 14 it just makes sense. I will post some better pics when the mask arrives.hopefully next weekend.post-163622-0-97498800-1571597208_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been having some poor weather here lately so here are some pics with the mbu 14 attached. some pics taken indoors and some outside..the yellow changes a lot with different lighting, and in the sunshine it's blinding with that reflective tape no point using camera flash with it. Hope you enjoy the pics.

You gonna hunt for a CRU-79 next or just leave it as is? Nice setup, looks good with the green 12P. I need to find one of those amp blocks for a MBU-17 project.

Definitely would like to have a cru 79 set to go with this. I think that they are rare as hen's teeth to find..just as rare as this helmet is..I been searching the net for 2 years for something special like this helmet to show up and have seen some great helmet's but because I live in the UK we don't see much of what the US seller's have and even then most won't ship overseas..one great example I saw was a helmet and mask from the pukin dog's squadron late 70s early 80s era mettalic blue paint white decals of pukin dog's gone cream colour due to age missing interior parts but overall great condition, seller would not ship overseas,and I asked many times but he wouldn't.it sold for around $1000 I wanted this helmet watched it go away.

I was going to disagree with the CRU being rare but then saw UK so I can understand it now. I see them over here, not frequently but they pop up ever couple months or so it seems. Now they seem to draw alot of attention and go for pretty good sums. I recall like 10-15 years ago they'd pop up and Id seem them sell for around 50 dollars, sometimes less and sometimes a little more but usually under 100. This was just for the regulator itself, sometimes missing the AN elbow fitting and always no REDAR hose. Usually 80s-early 90s dates.

Always liked Robertshaw items with "Mr Controls" on the tag. The 79s I think I had seen reasonably prices were Bendix and later Litton ones.