82nd Airborne Band WW2

Pip

Thanks AZ that photo is awesome! Thanks everyone for commenting I now understand way more about Bands in WW2. I always just assumed they stay far far away from any of the battles.

Posted Today, 02:33 PM

Great photo AZ of the 82nd Band

Posted Today, 03:34 PM

Thanks AZ that photo is awesome!

You're welcome. I'm surprised there's not more pictures of them, let alone more information about the band during that time. I'm sure they were great morale boosters.

Airborne-Hunter

The 82nd Airborne Band was led by Wilbur Hall of Fredericksburg, Texas. They landed on D-day in gliders thus the glider qualification. They played for many of the royals of Europe in addition to military functions. The 82nd Airborne Drum skin cover featured in the 82nd AB unit history is still in existence in a private collection. Mr. Hall's effects came out of an estate sale in spring 2016. The majority reside in an advanced private collection. A portion of his effects were picked up by a picker and sold at auction. Most of which was also picked up by another private collector. The 82nd AB Band has a very interesting history....part of the problem with researching the unit is that at least part of it started out as the 504th PIR Band before becoming the 82nd Airborne Band. Best ABN

Thanks Airborne Hunter! Any truth to this info I found on a different site? I never would have guessed that they landed on D-Day in gliders any idea what the would have done on D-Day, would they have landed with weapons and fought?

""The 28th Infantry Division Band was not the only band involved in the Battle of the Bulge. The 101st Airborne helped hold on to Bastogne preventing it from falling to the Germans. The 82nd Airborne Division Band was caught in the battle after being sent to the Ardennes for R & R. The 82nd front line was stretched thin. The 82nd Airborne Band joined the depleted front line to hold off the German spearhead. The band helped hold off two German Infantry Divisions and a Panzer Division."