Engraved and Numbered Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross Question

Gerradtgrant

It would be nice if someone could translate that so you might know if it's related to medals or operation. How much is she asking for it?

Gerradtgrant

It would be nice if someone could translate that so you might know if it's related to medals or operation.  How much is she asking for it?

Has $150 on it. I am sure I can talk her down a little bit. Just don't know enough about value and authentication. Not many sold on eBay to go by.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Gerradtgrant

This is a known original posted in a thread dedicated to blood chit. Says it is a rare version. Almost looks the same characters are the same. Only difference is the numbering going vertical on his and mine is horizontal. I posted on that thread hoping to get some clarification. We will see but, seems several people have posted on there with no response.

Well, those two blood chits are pretty much identical character-wise. Personally, I think if you can't wait for a translation, I'd take a chance that it might be related and offer $75 but no more than $100, but that's me. If there's no rush, then maybe someone can translate that and see if it's related to the story. Given that there's two of those chits with the same characters, it kind of leads one to believe it's not specific to the story of the medals, however, if that chit came with the medals I would try and get it just to have the all items together. Did the lady say if that was along with the medals? If she did, I would go ahead and try and get it. Just my thoughts.

Gerradtgrant

Well, those two blood chits are pretty much identical character-wise.  Personally, I think if you can't wait for a translation, I'd take a chance that it might be related and offer $75 but no more than $100, but that's me.  If there's no rush, then maybe someone can translate that and see if it's related to the story.  Given that there's two of those chits with the same characters, it kind of leads one to believe it's not specific to the story of the medals, however, if that chit came with the medals I would try and get it just to have the all items together.  Did the lady say if that was along with the medals?  If she did, I would go ahead and try and get it.  Just my thoughts.

I was thinking the same thing about it. I should pick it up just in case. Just don't want to over pay for something I don't know much about. This stuff she found in her husband's items when he passed away. She doesn't know how he aquired it. He wasn't prior military and wasn't a collector. Says she doesn't recognize the name either. Definitely would assume the characters are not related to a specific story but a general theme.

Gerradtgrant

Should I start a separate thread asking if anyone has a translation? I would think it would broaden my audience of potential translation.

Gerradtgrant

The lady that sold me these medals called me yesterday, and says that the medal grouping was aquired by her son who cleans out houses. She didn't know that he was storing some of his stuff there. He confirmed that the blood chit did indeed come from the same house and belongs with the medals as they were hanging next to each other in the house. Because she sold the medals for less then what he wanted he won't go any less then $100 on the blood chit.

My question, is it worth buying for $100 to keep the grouping and history together. The chit is in rough shape which to me would be expected. I tried to explain the importance of keeping these items together from a historical standpoint. I offered $80 which he quickly refused and said " but I really like it and think it's cool, if you won't pay $100 I will find someone who will". I am caught between a rock and a hard spot on this one. I am sure we have all over paid to keep something together. All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

BILL THE PATCH

Give him the 100.00, it's worth going with the group. I would pay 100.00. definitely. But that's me. Great group by the way

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Gerradtgrant

Give him the 100.00, it's worth going with the group. I would pay 100.00. definitely. But that's me. Great group by the way

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank You Bill, I was leaning that way as well.

Posted Today, 09:06 AM

+1, I agree with Bill.

Gerradtgrant

This is one excellent medal group and background information. Thanks for posting!

Thank you for the kind comments. Wouldn't of been possible without AzNation!

• 5 weeks later...