1918 LF&C - 63rd ID Vet estate

JosephC

A friend whose father was in WWII has this 1918 that his dad carried. There is no scabbard. The hilt of the handle is either deformed, bent or purposely changed. Blade is a little rough but only surface.

Not sure if he would part with it; he is considering so any advice on what I can offer him is appreciated.

From the vets bronze star award document -

63rd Infantry division HQ Co. - intelligence sergeant during all combat operations; "(he) obtained information by patrolling and reconnaissance into enemy territory. his aggressive and resourceful performance of duty contribute much information of the enemy which was necessary to the planning of offensive operations."

Can only imagine the fear this knife brought to the enemy to result in information he obtained.

post-967-0-90568400-1566540837_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-38710300-1566540846_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-17922000-1566540872_thumb.jpg

(I see one of these just sold for possibly $475 on the sales page so i guess I see around what to offer him should he decide to part with it).

Just a little extra information here. The 63rd Infantry Division has probably the best web sight ever. There are tons of photos, and they have the entire, by name, unit rosters of anyone who ever served in the 63rd during WW2. Fantastic sight! My Dad was also in the 63rd, he's listed, and in a bunch of pictures. Check it out! SKIP

That does have a modification of the hilt that you don't usually see. As you've probably seen, the typical modification is having one side or the other of the guard removed, presumably to allow for a closer fit to the body. Nice knife in any event though. Good luck in getting your hands on it but I don't see why a family member would give it up. I love Saratoga Springs but what a busy place in the Summer or around the holidays.

No scabbard, in that condition (salty blade, damaged handle), you are really buying it as an identified / attributed piece.

And, that attribution is loose - meaning, how do you prove it was his?

I am not seeing anywhere near $475, but that is my opinion.

That does have a modification of the hilt that you don't usually see. As you've probably seen, the typical modification is having one side or the other of the guard removed, presumably to allow for a closer fit to the body. Nice knife in any event though. Good luck in getting your hands on it but I don't see why a family member would give it up. I love Saratoga Springs but what a busy place in the Summer or around the holidays.

The one I have has the top part just ground off and rounded. Its common to see all sorts of changes in that part.

I would be inclined to think 500$ IF* the son is willing to put all the information down about it being his fathers, his unit, carried overseas ect and sign it. That way the story becomes a bit more tangible. It is common to see the grinding off of those in various ways in both WWI and WWII. Thats not bent "" and doesnt bother me. Although it would for some. As far as cleaning it up, steel wool and some lubricating oil would remove any surface rust and wouldnt damage the blade (be gentle). As with any blade or metal however occasional light oiling rub down would help protect whats left and prevent furthur rusting/deeper pitting.

VR
Peg6