Thrift Store Halloween Section Uniform Finds 2019

milsurp_scout_14

. The Navy jumper is post 1948 at least. That rating badge was adopted at that time

Oh thanks, I don't know much about navy items and just assumed it was because it was very similar to the other jumpers I had.

Pic 6

Those are some awesome finds!

Desert Storm chocolate chip uniform with an original bancroft boonie hat

Great hat. I bought one just like it to wear a year or so back. Much to my shock and surprise, my teenage daughter said she liked it and that they were trendy. First time EVER I've been on the height of fashion!

Mikie

I made due diligence and hit a few thrift stores this weekend. As usual, no luck at all with anything military. But then I spotted this shirt for 2 bucks! Just so happens that someone at work is trying to start up a Hawaiian Shirt Friday tradition so this was perfect!

post-2687-0-73932900-1571076175.jpg

Mikie

I made due diligence and hit a few thrift stores this weekend. As usual, no luck at all with anything military. But then I spotted this shirt for 2 bucks! Just so happens that someone at work is trying to start up a Hawaiian Shirt Friday tradition so this was perfect!

attachicon.gifHawaiiandn shirt.jpg

Mikie

Vintage is it?

Hey I know some people back in the 90s who collected Vintage Bowling Shirts from the 50s-70s, interesting stuff I suppose those bowling shirts, certainly seen a lot of different designs and stuff on them.

Posted this already. $2.00 at a thrift store in Minden, Nevada last week. Also got a nice 60s leather shoulder holster for for $8 at the same place.

post-185627-0-31155500-1571102372_thumb.jpg

GeneralCheese

Here are my finds from the past week or so. Almost all of it came from the same store. Unfortunately the campaign hat is a repro, but it was only $2. Best has to be the named 2nd pattern jungle jacket I got for $6. Also sort of neat are the RDF pants with a single pocket flap in green dominant material. ERDL jungle jacket has a USMC stamp but is 1969 contract.

post-30085-0-99025300-1571457946_thumb.jpg

So, are these "Halloween racks" at Goodwill a West Coast thing? Living in the Midwest, I have never seen Goodwill or Salvation Army do something like this.

Dead right! We have hunted at thrift stores all over Ohio from August to October, and they never do anything with military racks! Sure wish they did!

Can't speak for elsewhere, but the thrift stores around here put out extra racks with Halloween costumes around September. I guess if you are lucky, there may be something actually military mixed in with the Harry Potter and Spiderman stuff. Though it's never happened to me. Good luck good hunting

everyone!

olivedrab1970

Here are my finds from the past week or so. Almost all of it came from the same store. Unfortunately the campaign hat is a repro, but it was only $2. Best has to be the named 2nd pattern jungle jacket I got for $6. Also sort of neat are the RDF pants with a single pocket flap in green dominant material. ERDL jungle jacket has a USMC stamp but is 1969 contract.

attachicon.gifDSC_0855.JPG

Those are some really good finds!

R.D.

Semper Fidelis-

Vintage is it?

Hey I know some people back in the 90s who collected Vintage Bowling Shirts from the 50s-70s, interesting stuff I suppose those bowling shirts, certainly seen a lot of different designs and stuff on them.

It always amazed me that you can name anything, and there are folks who collect it. And I think that's wonderful, even if I often don't understand the attraction myself.

For those who's Goodwill stores don't do the Halloween rack thing, here is one I checked out on Saturday.

post-2687-0-17484500-1571700392.jpg

This one has a couple of aisles of these.

Mikie

I think I hit Gold! Looks like it must be an incredibly rare WWII experimental Camo coverall suit! But I decided to be generous and left it for another collector to discover.

post-2687-0-43611500-1571701139.jpg

Mikie

Salvage Sailor

Here in Hawaii there are racks for halloween costumes and separate racks for military uniforms, mostly modern camo and Army dress uniforms

Here in Hawaii there are racks for halloween costumes and separate racks for military uniforms, mostly modern camo and Army dress uniforms

When I lived in Hawaii, both the Goodwill and Salvation Army had year round military clothing racks. You have every uniformed service there, and a lot of retired vets. That used to be my happy hunting grounds.

Another decent weekend. USMC uniform is named and 1944 dated, Ike is 1953 dated with OD Border 1st Cav and guys stencil. The kids costume has whats left of a WWI 4th Division patch that was ravaged by the years.

Once again my 34th luck holds true, always see 1st Cav as combat patches when the nametape missing, once day I'll find another 34th DCU with the nametape on it still.

Stuff is still out there, even this close to Halloween. Few more days left, and best believe I'll be out every day!

post-5665-0-15747500-1572235774.jpg

That ww1 patch is a really cool find, Im about to make one last out of town run but here are some of my finds: yet another modern full patched and named 101st, a ww2 navy jumper (this one has victory matches in the pocket that I thought were pretty cool), a ww2 heavier field shirt, a real pasgt with all the mold stickers and an extra cover, A ww2 8th airforce jacket with british made patch (Named to Leo Moore O-714979 it was part of a much larger group the rest of which was found at the military surplus store that donated it to Goodwill so it will be a latest finds post soon), and last but not least a 82nd patched M42 in the wild.

post-193671-0-92943800-1572366836.png

post-193671-0-40914300-1572366850.png

Probably my last find of this Halloween hunting season, a "transitional" M1950 jacket dated to December 1950.

1_front-2-824x960.jpg

tags-660x960.jpg

This one has an interesting typo on the contractor tag in the pocket: M7950.

contractor_tag-1-557x960.jpg

Has anyone else observed this? Several months ago I found an MQ-1 pile cap made in the same time period also has a typo on its tag, specifically the dash being placed between the "M" and "Q" on the instructions tag and between "Q" and "1" on the contractor tag, but that inconsistency seems constant across all the pictures of that specific kind of cap I've been able to find. The late 1950 rush order for Korea must have been very desperate for those typos to creep in.

I also found an incomplete RCMP "Mounties" red tunic with a George VI Coronation Ribbon (1937) and 4 long service stars (20 years) but no buttons or other insignia, but that's out of the scope of this forum.

That ww1 patch is a really cool find, Im about to make one last out of town run but here are some of my finds: yet another modern full patched and named 101st, a ww2 navy jumper (this one has victory matches in the pocket that I thought were pretty cool), a ww2 heavier field shirt, a real pasgt with all the mold stickers and an extra cover, A ww2 8th airforce jacket with british made patch (Named to Leo Moore O-714979 it was part of a much larger group the rest of which was found at the military surplus store that donated it to Goodwill so it will be a latest finds post soon), and last but not least a 82nd patched M42 in the wild.

You had excellent luck with that 8th AAF grouping. That is definitely your find of the year and something you need to keep and research.

Probably my last find of this Halloween hunting season, a "transitional" M1950 jacket dated to December 1950.

1_front-2-824x960.jpg

You had excellent luck with that 8th AAF grouping. That is definitely your find of the year and something you need to keep and research.

Thanks, unfortunately the pins were stripped off when I found it but I think I found some of them at the Surplus store with the other ETO jacket, they will have to do to keep the holes fresh while I research it and try to restore it. That 1950 jacket is pretty cool also, I think Korean war items are under rated.

Another decent weekend. USMC uniform is named and 1944 dated, Ike is 1953 dated with OD Border 1st Cav and guys stencil. The kids costume has whats left of a WWI 4th Division patch that was ravaged by the years.

Once again my 34th luck holds true, always see 1st Cav as combat patches when the nametape missing, once day I'll find another 34th DCU with the nametape on it still.

Stuff is still out there, even this close to Halloween. Few more days left, and best believe I'll be out every day!

Nice Vietnam cowboy hat

easterneagle87

I doubted this was real, and Im pretty sure I was right but the strobe lights really were not the best examining environment.

Can we get a shot of the 82nd M42?

Can we get a shot of the 82nd M42?

I wish I could say that I got it off him, but I didn't and that was the best photo I got of it because the strobe lights kept making everything purple and out of focus. The owner wasnt too helpful saying simply that he had "found it". Clearly he just wanted to be left alone but in retrospect he probably would have sold it to me if I had thought to pay for all his drinks that night. I kind of doubt that it was genuine because the fabric and construction seemed too new and not as heavy duty as ones I have seen here. It also lacked a belt and I think belt loops but it was still cool to see.

I can try to post it again if you would like to see it right side up and see if I can get it in better detail. Ive really had a struggle with getting photos small enough to post here without losing the detail.