Thrift Store Halloween Section Uniform Finds 2019

milsurp_scout_14

And finally today's find. Named in the pocket to a guy who arrived in the PTO at the end of fighting on Okinawa and was discharged in early 1946.

post-5665-0-15380600-1570142761.jpg

Nice Finds,

In the few stores ive been to that actually put out Halloween Stuff, I have found multiple items.

ive found a 1962 dated rain poncho, I have found a 1963 dated M-1951 jacket, I have found a 1950s Era Ike jacket with patches, I have found a 1970s Cold Weather Mechanic jumpsuit, I have found a ECWCS Camo cold weather parka, and last but not least I have found a Brand new pair of Rocky Tan Combat boots with the laces still bundled up and the tags still on the laces.

Thanks! I was pretty sure it had to be military given everything it was surrounded by but now Ill have to add that to the list of things to get when I go back.

Its been a busy season for me, usually hit about a half dozen shops a day after work and have been extremely successful find stuff from WWII through modern times.

Best was one store that produced three CAPAC liners, Ike that had 84th ID and 63rd ID patches and a 4 pocket that had 24th Corps and 10th Army in one stop.

I also found another WWII uniform, unnamed and no laundry stamps but the pocket had Warrant Officer insignia. Been lucky with a patched jungle jacket, modified 173rd Airborne DCU as well as a 34th DCU that sadly has been stripped but could be ID'd with some work.

Those are some amazing finds, especially the Ike jacket that I assume is named since you don't say it is unnamed.

milsurp_scout_14

Here's my latest...bought this because it was in my size. It's a 1981 contract woodland top. I've never seen any woodland tops that have had the sleeves shortened. For that matter, I've never seen any Army tops tailored this way--whenever I've found short sleeves, they're always OD, and Air Force. Even weirder, the buttons normally found on the sleeve cuffs, have been retained on the short sleeves (a feature that really makes the shirt for me).

post-153911-0-89023400-1570325447_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-50183900-1570325461_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-24054500-1570325471_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-63038700-1570325480_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-21843000-1570325490_thumb.jpg

Here's my latest...bought this because it was in my size. It's a 1981 contract woodland top. I've never seen any woodland tops that have had the sleeves shortened. For that matter, I've never seen any Army tops tailored this way--whenever I've found short sleeves, they're always OD, and Air Force. Even weirder, the buttons normally found on the sleeve cuffs, have been retained on the short sleeves (a feature that really makes the shirt for me).

Interesting, Any evidence of a NAME tape and shoulder patch?

Wierd indeed! It simulates what the shirt would look like if the sleeves were properly rolled up. I don't know any First Sergeant that would approve. It's also not very practical for field use either. There is always some joker who thinks he is smarter than every one else.

milsurp_scout_14

Yes, there's evidence of a name tape, and a barely visible patch outline on the left shoulder. It appears to be a slightly tapered vertical rectangle. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 1st Army? It's in the shot in the last photo, but doesn't show up at all on camera.

KommandoPost

I'm seeing a lot more OD M65s than usual this year, mostly post-Vietnam and small sizes, but I picked up a couple late Vietnam dated ones in mint/near mint condition and medium size.

I found this interesting souvenir combat shirt today:
1_front-5-720x960.jpg
2_back-6-698x960.jpg
3_tag-1-483x960.jpg

The DCU material is sewn on top of the base shirt material. It has a lot in common with other NSW-modded BDUs/DCUs I've seen.
inside_1-765x960.jpg
inside_2-723x960.jpg

There is also a pen pocket in the left shoulder pocket.
inside_left_arm_pen_pocket-956x960.jpg

Yes, there's evidence of a name tape, and a barely visible patch outline on the left shoulder. It appears to be a slightly tapered vertical rectangle. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 1st Army? It's in the shot in the last photo, but doesn't show up at all on camera.

Roger.

Has anyone found anything intresting this past week? I love seeing the cool things that can be found at Goodwills. Here are some of the things I found, the most noteworthy items are the 1918 mills belt, a ww2 navy uniform, a ton of 50's-60's marine items, and the beret for the 101st airborne uniform I found earlier.

post-193671-0-66225200-1570941615.png

post-193671-0-69406800-1570941627.png

Has anyone found anything intresting this past week? I love seeing the cool things that can be found at Goodwills. Here are some of the things I found, the most noteworthy items are the 1918 mills belt, a ww2 navy uniform, a ton of 50's-60's marine items, and the beret for the 101st airborne uniform I found earlier.

. The Navy jumper is post 1948 at least. That rating badge was adopted at that time

I haven't seen anything real exiting....Recently bought a late WW2 made Ike used in Korea and a 1950's McDonald hardhat for $4.50/pair......Came from a local second hand store that had some newer navy uniforms as well....Purchased a mint carlisle pouch first aid can at a salvation army store about a month ago....Nothing at goodwill...Bodes

I haven't seen anything real exiting....Recently bought a late WW2 made Ike used in Korea and a 1950's McDonald hardhat for $4.50/pair......Came from a local second hand store that had some newer navy uniforms as well....Purchased a mint carlisle pouch first aid can at a salvation army store about a month ago....Nothing at goodwill...Bodes

Almost forgot, also picked up a locally distributed WW2 dated Coca-Cola bottle the same day as the jacket/hardhat...Came from another thrift store..Bodes

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Only found two pairs of ABU boots, CAP tshirt, and a type 2 woodland cap. Left all that behind, but I did take SOG by John plaster. Good book

olivedrab1970

I have been following this thread for awhile and waiting to add my haul! I have been pretty successful and hope to find more, thrift stores are panning out to be gold..

R.D.

Semper Fidelis-

post-162317-0-19381900-1570983787_thumb.jpg

post-162317-0-04519600-1570983808_thumb.jpg