Thrift Store Halloween Section Uniform Finds 2019

milsurp_scout_14

Name: Kenneth W Ehrenfelt Muster Date: Jan 1944 Rank: Private First Class Station: Marine Detachment, Uss Enterprise

Thank you so much for the information it was a huge help! Pretty neat that he was on the USS Enterprise, thats cooler then anything I could have hoped to discover. Thats the great thing about goodwill, you really never know what you will find.

Now that I look in the sleeve I can actually see the ghost of a private first class patch so this must have been the uniform he actually had on ship.

Halloween section was good to me tonight! I found 3 unissued 1970 contract OG-107 utility trousers, size 36x31, and 2 unissued OG-107 shirts 16.5x34.

I hit some stores yesterday without finding anything at all. But believe it or not, I actually had a dream last night that I found a great patched WWII Ike jacket at Goodwill! I knew it was a dream since it actually fit me. You folks who scored are living the dream!

Mikie

KommandoPost

Fresh finds from today. Now it's starting to pick up:

1_front-729x960.jpg

rank-792x960.jpg

seabees-887x960.jpg

tag-608x960.jpg

tag_name-1140x713.jpg

Any ideas why there's an Asiatic-Pacific campaign medal but no WW2 victory one?

This guy has been around:

1_front-1-788x960.jpg

chest-1140x481.jpg

patches-746x960.jpg

contractor_tag-864x960.jpg

Could the large ribbon ghost be for a Ranger battalion? Jacket is dated to 1995.

I also found a mint condition M1945 pack (so mint I don't know if it's a repro), Crye frog pants, and a desert MARPAT fleece for resale.

KommandoPost

Thank you patches. Here's the mint condition pack. On second thought it might be USMC P41, but I've never seen a mint one before so I can't tell if this is real or repro.

1_front-3-1101x960.jpg

2_back-1-883x960.jpg

inside-984x960.jpg

stamps-1140x863.jpg

Any ideas why there's an Asiatic-Pacific campaign medal but no WW2 victory one?

That Seabee coat is a great find! If I recall correctly the WW2 Victory Medal wasn't approved until well after VJ Day. This coat probably just predates authorization or availability of the medal.

Very nice finds all around. Every Halloween I stop by the three Goodwill stores in my area multiple times and every year I do not find a single scrap of anything military.

easterneagle87

Hit three GW's, two Salvation Army's and a couple of local thrift stores in the last two days...nothing of interest. :unsure: The hunt continues.

I found these Gems at my local Thrift store Halloween section. I decided to pass them up, and leave them for the next militaria collector. haha.

Adrian

post-158668-0-34906700-1570114887_thumb.jpg

post-158668-0-17894400-1570114904_thumb.jpg

olivedrab1970

I found these Gems at my local Thrift store Halloween section. I decided to pass them up, and leave them for the next militaria collector. haha.

Adrian

attachicon.gifresized_1.JPG

attachicon.gifresized_2.JPG

BAHAHAHA! That is CRAZY!!!! That made my day...

R.D.

Semper Fidelis-

olivedrab1970

Thank you patches. Here's the mint condition pack. On second thought it might be USMC P41, but I've never seen a mint one before so I can't tell if this is real or repro.

1_front-3-1101x960.jpg

2_back-1-883x960.jpg

inside-984x960.jpg

stamps-1140x863.jpg

100% ARMY all the way, they starting using the P41 style pack through the WW2. The U.S. on the front on the front is a dead give away!

R.D.

Semper Fidelis-

I found something exciting at an salvation army today, a 1944 dated officers overcoat (missing the ranks), 2 shirts, and 2 officers pants all named to the same gentleman. There is significantly more still at the place but my budget is telling me not to get the other coats yet. I have not been able to find much on his service career or what his rank was but it seems that D. E. Killip is currently a professor at my university's Dental school and served as an army dentist at least in the 70's judging by a modern shirt I found with a dentist insignia.

post-193671-0-35541500-1570134646.png

post-193671-0-74762900-1570134654.png

Also does anyone know what this jacket is? It was with the other stuff and looks like it is military but I cannot see any tags to prove that. It seems to be fur lined.

post-193671-0-67089600-1570134757.png

So, are these "Halloween racks" at Goodwill a West Coast thing? Living in the Midwest, I have never seen Goodwill or Salvation Army do something like this.

Goodwill stores - in California at least - seems to vary from county-to-county: here in San Diego County they seem like TJ MAX and I've never seen anything military in their stores except for one that has a small amount of current camo. Some other thrift chains used to put out some cool stuff at Halloween but they increasingly don't put out much military.

That Seabee coat is a great find! If I recall correctly the WW2 Victory Medal wasn't approved until well after VJ Day. This coat probably just predates authorization or availability of the medal.

You dont start regularly seeing the Victory Medal on discharges until September / October 1945. Also, the Navy Good Conduct was supposed to be last in precedence on a ribbon bar, until mid December 1945. Those details, plus the lack of a Ruptured Duck, suggests he wore this sometime before December and didnt wear it again, at least not on the trip home... probably switching to the blues at that point.

Its been a busy season for me, usually hit about a half dozen shops a day after work and have been extremely successful find stuff from WWII through modern times.

Best was one store that produced three CAPAC liners, Ike that had 84th ID and 63rd ID patches and a 4 pocket that had 24th Corps and 10th Army in one stop.

I also found another WWII uniform, unnamed and no laundry stamps but the pocket had Warrant Officer insignia. Been lucky with a patched jungle jacket, modified 173rd Airborne DCU as well as a 34th DCU that sadly has been stripped but could be ID'd with some work.

post-5665-0-29847800-1570142248_thumb.jpg