Is this a dinged Nieuport or something else?

5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty

I can't tell if this is a Nieuport that has been dinged or if it is something else. The wings look kind of wonky to me and I have no idea why the guys in front of it have their hands up. I believe this was taken in the winter of 1918 in France.

post-96854-0-92338400-1566330680_thumb.jpg

The guys seem to be having fun with someone or they're surrendering to the photographer. No idea about the plane however. Wings appear a bit frail, like a hang glider.

It does have some characteristics of a Nieuport... what is throwing me off is the apparent backward slant of the upper wing which could, I suppose, be some sort of damage?

5thwingmarty

I can't tell if the upper wing has a backward slant (which is what I thought at first) or if it is slanting down from the center towards the wing tips. The bottom left wing looks like it is drooping too.

I cropped the original photo to post. There were at least three other guys acting like they were surrendering in the original photo.

I can't tell if the upper wing has a backward slant (which is what I thought at first) or if it is slanting down from the center towards the wing tips. The bottom left wing looks like it is drooping too...

That's what it looked like to me, too... wing damage, with the center area bent upward somehow, but strong enough to land the airplane.

Everything else (wheels, struts, fuselage, cockpit, engine position and type) does look a lot like a Nieuport.

5thwingmarty

Here is another copy of the photo where I adjusted some of the settings to try and bring out more detail. It looks to me like the right lower wing is there, but it is more horizontal than the left lower wing. That lower wing blends in with the background so it is hard to see much detail there.

It looks like the front edge of the right upper wing bends down towards the wingtip too, so I am guessing this is a dinged Nieuport.

post-96854-0-61298100-1566394709_thumb.jpg